Re: Official petition for Bram Moolenaar to become a front end developer

  • Erik Falor
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 6, 2013
      On Tue, Aug 06, 2013 at 11:05:25AM -0700, Andrew Ray wrote:
      > Why is cindent in the core of vim? Why does C get special treatment?

      Because Eric Fischer wrote it that way. See then comment in feature.h
      near the definition of FEAT_CINDENT.

      > At first glance it makes it seem like vim has a language bias.

      Because Vim is itself written in C, it stands to reason that the
      author(s) would make sure that Vim works very well on C code. It also
      stands to reason that early on, C programmers would extend Vim in C.

      PROTIP: You sound like a troll when you throw around loaded phrases
      like "special treatment" and "bias". If you are genuinely curious
      about the history of Vim, I suggest toning your rhetoric down. One
      can't help but wonder if other "front-end" developers are as insecure
      in their profession as you sound to be.

      If your intent is to divide the Vim community into "traditional" and
      "front-end" programming camps by playing their cultural differences
      against each other, then well played, sir. Now please find a more
      useful hobby. Maybe you can make the NSA implode.

      --
      Erik Falor http://unnovative.net
      Registered Linux User #445632 http://linuxcounter.net
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 7, 2013
        > PROTIP: You sound like a troll when you throw around loaded phrases
        > like "special treatment" and "bias".

        I used words like "seems like" and "at first glance" and "I don't know" because I was not trolling. Saying something like "vim has a language bias" would be trolling. I'm just telling you my perception, with an admittance that it's probably wrong. Calling someone a troll might be trolling though ;) so we're both doomed

        > If your intent is to divide the Vim community into "traditional" and
        > "front-end" programming camps by playing their cultural differences

        I have no intent to divide the vim community. My first post is a playful one; of course it's ridiculous to ask anyone to switch professions over indenting. The ridiculousness is intentional. I'm just jealous that I can open sublime text and it indents everything just how I want it (how most of the community has adopted it), vs in vim I have to go through 2 or 3 javascript indenting plugins that all have unique bugs. I could try to fix it (and I have tried to fix it), and then there would be 3 or 4 indenting plugins out there that have unique bugs :) I just haven't promoted my attempt yet, because it is not good.