Re: Official petition for Bram Moolenaar to become a front end developer

  • Andy Wokula
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 6, 2013
      Am 05.08.2013 23:58, schrieb Ben Fritz:
      > On Monday, August 5, 2013 3:03:57 PM UTC-5, Andrew Ray wrote:
      >>> Have you tried a recent version of Vim?
      >>>
      >>> The indent plugin for HTML has been replaced.

      >> does not indent correctly, macvim snapshot 69
      >
      > I'm still using the OLD script, and that snippet indents fine for me:

      Same for the new script.

      > Unless you expect the <span> to be indented further? I don't really care because sometimes I do:

      > goes <span>here</span>
      > like this</p>

      With
      :let html_indent_inctags = 'p,span'
      in your vimrc (span not actually needed in the example), this becomes

      goes <span>here</span>
      like this</p>

      When used during session you also need to do
      :call HtmlIndent_CheckUserSettings()

      (as explained at :h ft-html-indent (available in newer Vims))

      > or even:

      > goes <span>here</span>
      > like this
      >
      > But I guess that's a valid complaint.

      Valid complaint. I'll try to add support for optional end tags.

      --
      Andy

    • Andrew Ray
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 6, 2013
        > Editing HTML is a pain. I hope someone fixes the indent plugin for
        >
        > that. And no, it's not going to be part of core Vim, a plugin should be
        >
        > able to handle it.

        Why is cindent in the core of vim? Why does C get special treatment?
        At first glance it makes it seem like vim has a language bias. I don't
        know the history though. *Is* it from vi?

      • glts
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 6, 2013
          On Tuesday, August 6, 2013 8:05:25 PM UTC+2, Andrew Ray wrote:
          > > Editing HTML is a pain. I hope someone fixes the indent plugin for
          > > that. And no, it's not going to be part of core Vim, a plugin should be
          > > able to handle it.
          >
          > Why is cindent in the core of vim? Why does C get special treatment?
          > At first glance it makes it seem like vim has a language bias. I don't
          > know the history though. *Is* it from vi?

          C gets special treatment. See 'cindent', 'cscope', etc.
          Lisp gets special treatment. See 'lispwords', etc.
          nroff gets special treatment. See 'sections', 'paragraphs'.
          And so on.

          Vim is all about its history. So what? :)

        • Paul Stewart
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 6, 2013
            Hi folks,

            I'm not sure what folks are getting upset about. Bram has built a
            fantastic product, and it's extensible, so if you want to make changes
            or plugins please go ahead, it will help the entire community.

            Don't complain about it, change it.

            Thanks

            On 08/06/2013 11:45 AM, glts wrote:
            > On Tuesday, August 6, 2013 8:05:25 PM UTC+2, Andrew Ray wrote:
            >>> Editing HTML is a pain. I hope someone fixes the indent plugin for
            >>> that. And no, it's not going to be part of core Vim, a plugin should be
            >>> able to handle it.
            >> Why is cindent in the core of vim? Why does C get special treatment?
            >> At first glance it makes it seem like vim has a language bias. I don't
            >> know the history though. *Is* it from vi?
            > C gets special treatment. See 'cindent', 'cscope', etc.
            > Lisp gets special treatment. See 'lispwords', etc.
            > nroff gets special treatment. See 'sections', 'paragraphs'.
            > And so on.
            >
            > Vim is all about its history. So what? :)

          • Ben Fritz
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 6, 2013
              On Tuesday, August 6, 2013 1:45:28 PM UTC-5, glts wrote:
              > On Tuesday, August 6, 2013 8:05:25 PM UTC+2, Andrew Ray wrote:
              > > > Editing HTML is a pain. I hope someone fixes the indent plugin for
              > > > that. And no, it's not going to be part of core Vim, a plugin should be
              > > > able to handle it.
              > >
              > > Why is cindent in the core of vim? Why does C get special treatment?
              > > At first glance it makes it seem like vim has a language bias. I don't
              > > know the history though. *Is* it from vi?
              >
              > C gets special treatment. See 'cindent', 'cscope', etc.
              > Lisp gets special treatment. See 'lispwords', etc.
              > nroff gets special treatment. See 'sections', 'paragraphs'.
              > And so on.

              It looks like 'indentexpr' was introduced back in version 6 sometime. 'cindent' existed before that.

              My guess is that Bram and other Vim developers realized it would be unmaintainable to require a C code patch to support indentation of every single filetype Vim would ever edit. So instead they allowed indenting ANY filetype in an extensible way, by introducing the 'indentexpr' and related options. See :help new-indent-flex. So this is the preferred method going forward.

            • Erik Falor
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 6, 2013
                On Tue, Aug 06, 2013 at 11:05:25AM -0700, Andrew Ray wrote:
                > Why is cindent in the core of vim? Why does C get special treatment?

                Because Eric Fischer wrote it that way. See then comment in feature.h
                near the definition of FEAT_CINDENT.

                > At first glance it makes it seem like vim has a language bias.

                Because Vim is itself written in C, it stands to reason that the
                author(s) would make sure that Vim works very well on C code. It also
                stands to reason that early on, C programmers would extend Vim in C.

                PROTIP: You sound like a troll when you throw around loaded phrases
                like "special treatment" and "bias". If you are genuinely curious
                about the history of Vim, I suggest toning your rhetoric down. One
                can't help but wonder if other "front-end" developers are as insecure
                in their profession as you sound to be.

                If your intent is to divide the Vim community into "traditional" and
                "front-end" programming camps by playing their cultural differences
                against each other, then well played, sir. Now please find a more
                useful hobby. Maybe you can make the NSA implode.

                --
                Erik Falor http://unnovative.net
                Registered Linux User #445632 http://linuxcounter.net
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 7, 2013
                  > PROTIP: You sound like a troll when you throw around loaded phrases
                  > like "special treatment" and "bias".

                  I used words like "seems like" and "at first glance" and "I don't know" because I was not trolling. Saying something like "vim has a language bias" would be trolling. I'm just telling you my perception, with an admittance that it's probably wrong. Calling someone a troll might be trolling though ;) so we're both doomed

                  > If your intent is to divide the Vim community into "traditional" and
                  > "front-end" programming camps by playing their cultural differences

                  I have no intent to divide the vim community. My first post is a playful one; of course it's ridiculous to ask anyone to switch professions over indenting. The ridiculousness is intentional. I'm just jealous that I can open sublime text and it indents everything just how I want it (how most of the community has adopted it), vs in vim I have to go through 2 or 3 javascript indenting plugins that all have unique bugs. I could try to fix it (and I have tried to fix it), and then there would be 3 or 4 indenting plugins out there that have unique bugs :) I just haven't promoted my attempt yet, because it is not good.