feature request - encrypt vim 'save' files

  • shawn wilson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2013
      Some things that vim keeps can leak information. I'm curious if there
      would be any issues with encrypting backupdir, directory, undodir, and
      viminfo files?

      Basically, I'm thinking that either vim could either use a per file
      pass based on a keyring or a global password. If this feature were on
      and the password / decryption failed, a non-encrypted file could be
      used (encrypted filetypes would be defined with an extension so having
      one file with an encrypted and plaintext swpfile for instance, would
      be sane). That or the file just isn't written/used if the feature is
      on and no/wrong password is present.

      Thoughts?

      PS - If I open a file that allows write for a group I'm in, I can
      write it and will get a swpfile with permissions for my default group.
      This is a part of the data leakage I'm talking about.
      PPS - https://github.com/jamessan/vim-gnupg does the right thing (with
      not saving anything externally).

    • Ben Fritz
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 31, 2013
        On Wednesday, July 31, 2013 11:10:14 AM UTC-5, shawn wilson wrote:
        > Some things that vim keeps can leak information. I'm curious if there
        >
        > would be any issues with encrypting backupdir, directory, undodir, and
        >
        > viminfo files?

        The only thing in that list that Vim does not encrypt, if you decide to write an encrypted file, is the viminfo file.

        See :help encryption, and also http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Encryption

        > Basically, I'm thinking that either vim could either use a per file
        >
        > pass based on a keyring or a global password. If this feature were on
        >
        > and the password / decryption failed, a non-encrypted file could be
        >
        > used (encrypted filetypes would be defined with an extension so having
        >
        > one file with an encrypted and plaintext swpfile for instance, would
        >
        > be sane). That or the file just isn't written/used if the feature is
        >
        > on and no/wrong password is present.

        Oh, I see. You want to write UNENCRYPTED files, but have Vim's "helper" files related to your editing be encrypted.

        I could see the utility of this. But then Vim would need to ask for a password every time it started up and read the .viminfo file.

        I think it might be easier to set up an encrypted home directory, and set your backupdir, directory, and undodir to reside within. Then Vim doesn't need to worry about it at all.