perl-support equivalent for python

  • Jim Green
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 25, 2013
      perl-support makes it so easy to write perl in vim. all the shortcuts, code autogeneration. Is there a equivalent perl-support for python?

      Thanks!
      Jim.

    • Marc Weber
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 25, 2013
        Excerpts from Jim Green's message of Thu Jul 25 19:29:39 +0000 2013:
        > perl-support makes it so easy to write perl in vim. all the shortcuts,
        > code autogeneration. Is there a equivalent perl-support for python?
        Learn how to find such things yourself by either using google or learn
        how to use Vim's help system:
        http://vim-wiki.mawercer.de/wiki/tips/using-vims-help.html

        Marc Weber

      • Jim Green
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 26, 2013
          On Thursday, July 25, 2013 5:40:02 PM UTC-4, MarcWeber wrote:
          > Excerpts from Jim Green's message of Thu Jul 25 19:29:39 +0000 2013:
          >
          > > perl-support makes it so easy to write perl in vim. all the shortcuts,
          >
          > > code autogeneration. Is there a equivalent perl-support for python?
          >
          > Learn how to find such things yourself by either using google or learn
          >
          > how to use Vim's help system:
          >
          > http://vim-wiki.mawercer.de/wiki/tips/using-vims-help.html

          awesome answer, thanks.

        • Ben Fritz
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 28, 2013
            On Thursday, July 25, 2013 2:29:39 PM UTC-5, Jim Green wrote:
            > perl-support makes it so easy to write perl in vim. all the shortcuts, code autogeneration. Is there a equivalent perl-support for python?
            >
            > Thanks!
            > Jim.

            I assume you mean this plugin (found with a Google search for "vim perl-support plugin": http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=556

            The plugin claims to make Vim a Perl IDE. So I tried searching for "vim python IDE", it came up with some results that look promising.

            Otherwise, there are many plugins out there providing one or more features listed for perl-support, though not all at one time. Most Vim plugins are more focused than that.

            Off the top of my head, I know syntastic will provide on-the-fly error highlighting, I assume there is a python compiler plugin that can check syntax highlighting using quickfix when you type ":make", there are almost TOO MANY snippet plugins out there, and there is NERD Commenter for comments. I use none of these right now, by the way, although I do use compiler plugins for other languages. I think you may have more luck searching for specific features you are looking for than trying to get it all-in-one.