Re: gVim converting Unix file Write To DOS Format

  • Tim Chase
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 24 12:02 PM
      On 2013-07-24 11:09, octopusgrabbus wrote:
      > I am using gVim version version 7.2.411 to remotely edit files on
      > a Linux system from a Linux system. I have set
      >
      > fileformats=unix,dos
      >
      > in .vimrc as well as well as
      >
      > filetype plugin indent on
      >
      > The file reads in as Unix file format using
      >
      > :e ftp://user@system//home/csm/csmdev/recpt_rpt.4gl
      >
      > When I :w the file and then read it back in :e!, the format has
      > changed to DOS file format.
      >
      > What can I do to correct this problem?

      A couple ideas occur to me:

      1) you have some plugin that is changing the 'ff' setting. I'd check
      what ":set ff?" to see what vim thinks the file should be written as.

      2) you should be able to force writing as Unix format with ":w
      ++ff=unix

      3) it's theoretically possible that FTP is transferring the file back
      up in ASCII rather than BIN mode. I don't mess around much with
      editing remote files, but if you write a copy of the file locally and
      it's Unix format, but becomes DOS after transferring it, I remember
      having FTP mung my newlines in the past.

      -tim

    • octopusgrabbus
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 24 12:13 PM
        On Wednesday, July 24, 2013 2:09:19 PM UTC-4, octopusgrabbus wrote:
        > I am using gVim version version 7.2.411 to remotely edit files on a Linux system from a Linux system. I have set
        >
        > fileformats=unix,dos
        >
        > in .vimrc as well as well as
        >
        > filetype plugin indent on
        >
        > The file reads in as Unix file format using
        >
        > :e ftp://user@system//home/csm/csmdev/recpt_rpt.4gl
        >
        > When I :w the file and then read it back in :e!, the format has changed to DOS file format.
        >
        > What can I do to correct this problem?
        >
        > Thanks.

        Thanks. I'll go look at sftp and see if that's it. I tried the :set ff? and it thinks it's Unix.

      • octopusgrabbus
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 24 12:20 PM
          sftp.conf had ascii mangling commented out. I uncommented it and answered NO; and restarted the daemon, which probably amounted to the mangling directives being commented out.

          This appears to be a gVim problem, because command line ftp from one system does not cause the file type to be altered.

          Thanks again.

          On Wednesday, July 24, 2013 3:02:05 PM UTC-4, Tim Chase wrote:
          > On 2013-07-24 11:09, octopusgrabbus wrote:
          >
          > > I am using gVim version version 7.2.411 to remotely edit files on
          >
          > > a Linux system from a Linux system. I have set
          >

          > > fileformats=unix,dos
          >

          > > in .vimrc as well as well as
          >

          > > filetype plugin indent on
          >

          > > The file reads in as Unix file format using
          >

          > > :e ftp://user@system//home/csm/csmdev/recpt_rpt.4gl
          >

          > > When I :w the file and then read it back in :e!, the format has
          >
          > > changed to DOS file format.
          >

          > > What can I do to correct this problem?
          >

          > A couple ideas occur to me:
          >

          > 1) you have some plugin that is changing the 'ff' setting. I'd check
          >
          > what ":set ff?" to see what vim thinks the file should be written as.
          >

          > 2) you should be able to force writing as Unix format with ":w
          >
          > ++ff=unix
          >

          > 3) it's theoretically possible that FTP is transferring the file back
          >
          > up in ASCII rather than BIN mode. I don't mess around much with
          >
          > editing remote files, but if you write a copy of the file locally and
          >
          > it's Unix format, but becomes DOS after transferring it, I remember
          >
          > having FTP mung my newlines in the past.
          >

          > -tim

        • octopusgrabbus
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 25 1:06 PM
            On Wednesday, July 24, 2013 3:02:05 PM UTC-4, Tim Chase wrote:
            > On 2013-07-24 11:09, octopusgrabbus wrote:
            >
            > > I am using gVim version version 7.2.411 to remotely edit files on
            >
            > > a Linux system from a Linux system. I have set
            >

            > > fileformats=unix,dos
            >

            > > in .vimrc as well as well as
            >

            > > filetype plugin indent on
            >

            > > The file reads in as Unix file format using
            >

            > > :e ftp://user@system//home/csm/csmdev/recpt_rpt.4gl
            >

            > > When I :w the file and then read it back in :e!, the format has
            >
            > > changed to DOS file format.
            >

            > > What can I do to correct this problem?
            >

            > A couple ideas occur to me:
            >

            > 1) you have some plugin that is changing the 'ff' setting. I'd check
            >
            > what ":set ff?" to see what vim thinks the file should be written as.
            >

            > 2) you should be able to force writing as Unix format with ":w
            >
            > ++ff=unix
            >

            > 3) it's theoretically possible that FTP is transferring the file back
            >
            > up in ASCII rather than BIN mode. I don't mess around much with
            >
            > editing remote files, but if you write a copy of the file locally and
            >
            > it's Unix format, but becomes DOS after transferring it, I remember
            >
            > having FTP mung my newlines in the past.
            >

            > -tim

            I've done more testing, and this occurs on both command line and gvim.

          • octopusgrabbus
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 29 10:34 AM
              This is solved by building and using 7.4a BETA. I do not believe this was due to .vimrc directives.

            • Charles Campbell
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 29 11:38 AM
                octopusgrabbus wrote:
                > This is solved by building and using 7.4a BETA. I do not believe this was due to .vimrc directives.

                Great! I was mystified about why it was occurring -- and given the
                problem with debugging via Decho, hadn't figured out how to proceed.

                Regards,
                C Campbell