strikethrough text in gvim

  • Jeroen Budts
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 24, 2013
      I have a feature request for gvim, I'm not sure if I should ask it here
      or on the dev list?
      Would it be possible to add support for strikethrough text in Gvim?
      Since gvim can already display bold, italic, underline and undercurl
      text I guess it can't be too difficult to add this to gvim?

      Strikethrough text would be useful in multiple occasions imho. For
      example in Vimwiki you can add ~~some text~~ which will be rendered to
      html as strikethrough, so it would be nice if gvim could actually show
      it as strikethrough (exactly the same as currently for *bold* and
      _italic_ text in vimwiki).
      Or for example to clearly indicate removed text when viewing a diff.

      Jeroen

    • Christian Brabandt
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 30, 2013
        On Mi, 24 Jul 2013, Jeroen Budts wrote:

        > I have a feature request for gvim, I'm not sure if I should ask it
        > here or on the dev list?
        > Would it be possible to add support for strikethrough text in Gvim?
        > Since gvim can already display bold, italic, underline and undercurl
        > text I guess it can't be too difficult to add this to gvim?
        >
        > Strikethrough text would be useful in multiple occasions imho. For
        > example in Vimwiki you can add ~~some text~~ which will be rendered
        > to html as strikethrough, so it would be nice if gvim could actually
        > show it as strikethrough (exactly the same as currently for *bold*
        > and _italic_ text in vimwiki).
        > Or for example to clearly indicate removed text when viewing a diff.
        >
        > Jeroen

        This sounds like an interesting idea and I thought, it would be fun, to
        check how easy it would be to implement it.

        Attached is a patch to try out. It seems to work for me with GTK and
        Motif Gui. I am a Unix gui and can't say for sure the code for Windows
        and Mac is actually correct and works, though.

        Secondly, I am unsure about the changes to term.c and term.h
        I don't know, if these changes are actually needed, so I simply took the
        undercurl code as an example and changed it so it would fit for
        strikethrough.

        regards,
        Christian

      • Ken Takata
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 12, 2013
          Hi Christian,

          2013/07/31 Wed 4:56:39 UTC+9 Christian Brabandt wrote:
          > Attached is a patch to try out. It seems to work for me with GTK and
          > Motif Gui. I am a Unix gui and can't say for sure the code for Windows
          > and Mac is actually correct and works, though.

          I checked your patch on Windows. It works fine.
          I checked it with the following process:

          > gvim -N foo.html
          :syn enable
          :syn region htmlStrike start="<del\>" end="</del>"me=e-6 contains=@htmlTop
          :hi def htmlStrike term=strikethrough cterm=strikethrough gui=strikethrough
          i<del>foo</del>

          > Secondly, I am unsure about the changes to term.c and term.h
          > I don't know, if these changes are actually needed, so I simply took the
          > undercurl code as an example and changed it so it would fit for
          > strikethrough.

          I think it is better to add term cap entries. Currently, termcap doesn't
          support strikethrough attributes, so we have to use our own attribute names.
          (E.g. 't_Ts'/'t_Te' or 't_SS'/'t_SE')
          I also think that a new flag (e.g. 't' or 'S') should be added in the
          'highlight' option.

          I and Hayaki Saito updated your patch to add them. After applying this patch
          and setting escape sequences properly,

          let &t_Ts="\e[9m"
          let &t_Te="\e[29m"

          some terminals (*) will show strikethrough lines.

          (*)
          RLogin: http://nanno.dip.jp/softlib/man/rlogin/ (Japanese)
          pangoterm: https://launchpad.net/pangoterm/

          Regards,
          Ken Takata

        • Christian Brabandt
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 19, 2013
            Hi Ken!

            On Sa, 12 Okt 2013, Ken Takata wrote:
            > 2013/07/31 Wed 4:56:39 UTC+9 Christian Brabandt wrote:
            > > Attached is a patch to try out. It seems to work for me with GTK and
            > > Motif Gui. I am a Unix gui and can't say for sure the code for Windows
            > > and Mac is actually correct and works, though.
            >
            > I checked your patch on Windows. It works fine.
            > I checked it with the following process:
            >
            > > gvim -N foo.html
            > :syn enable
            > :syn region htmlStrike start="<del\>" end="</del>"me=e-6 contains=@htmlTop
            > :hi def htmlStrike term=strikethrough cterm=strikethrough gui=strikethrough
            > i<del>foo</del>
            >

            > > Secondly, I am unsure about the changes to term.c and term.h
            > > I don't know, if these changes are actually needed, so I simply took the
            > > undercurl code as an example and changed it so it would fit for
            > > strikethrough.
            >
            > I think it is better to add term cap entries. Currently, termcap doesn't
            > support strikethrough attributes, so we have to use our own attribute names.
            > (E.g. 't_Ts'/'t_Te' or 't_SS'/'t_SE')
            > I also think that a new flag (e.g. 't' or 'S') should be added in the
            > 'highlight' option.
            >
            > I and Hayaki Saito updated your patch to add them. After applying this patch
            > and setting escape sequences properly,
            >
            > let &t_Ts="\e[9m"
            > let &t_Te="\e[29m"
            >
            > some terminals (*) will show strikethrough lines.
            >
            > (*)
            > RLogin: http://nanno.dip.jp/softlib/man/rlogin/ (Japanese)
            > pangoterm: https://launchpad.net/pangoterm/

            Very nice, thanks!