Re: YAML that folds right?

  • Steve Litt
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 22, 2013
      On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 14:23:50 -0400
      Benji Fisher <benji@...> wrote:

      > How close does
      >
      > :set fdm=indent
      >
      > get you? (Make sure that the 'shiftwidth' setting is right.)
      >
      > :help 'foldmethod'
      > :help 'shiftwidth'

      Close enough, Benji. Thank you *very* much.

      The problem, which I believe I can solve with one simple Python
      program, is that nothing in the YAML specification states that subnodes
      of different nodes or subnodes need be indented the same number of
      spaces. Therefore, different YAML files will require different
      shiftwidth settings, and even within a single YAML file, indent
      widths may be different.

      The practical effect of this is that you must set Vim's shiftwidth to a
      number less than or equal to the smallest indent in the file. In doing
      so, larger indents under some nodes might require multiple invocations
      of zc to unfold. This is not a showstopper if left untreated, and can
      be made even better if I write a Python program that parses a YAML file
      into an in-memory object, then writes back that in-memory object to a
      YAML file with consistent indentation.

      For extra credit, I'll eventually need to adapt VimOutliner's code to
      YAML so that folds don't show up *under* their parent, and so doing
      zo on a parent, as opposed to its fold, opens it. But for the time
      being, your answer scratched my itch, and I thank you for that.

      After considering a switch from Xfce to OpenBox, my UMENU menu program
      suddenly became much more important. Until now, UMENU was a deployment
      nightmare. Menu system changes required a change to an EMDL file, EMDL
      being a home-grown, fragile data file based on a tab indented outline.
      Once that change was done, a special (and complicated and hard to
      deploy) converter program converted the EMDL to .mnu files for each
      individual menu. In practice, the deployment was so bad that probably
      less than 100 people worldwide use UMENU, and it was so bad that it was
      actually hard for me, the author, to copy UMENU to a new machine. And
      even on my daily driver desktop, UMENU is always breaking because of
      these deployment issues. That's just unacceptable.

      The obvious choice, enabled by your Vim advice, is to author menu
      systems in YAML, have a UMENU server that reads the YAML into a (huge)
      in memory object tree, and handles queries from UMENU clients. This
      should be easily deployable anywhere someone can type in an unused port
      number. The YAML will also be much more readable than my kludgy EMDL.
      And thanks to Vim's folding, modifications to huge (my main EMDL file
      is over 2000 lines and at least 7 levels deep) YAML files will be easy
      drilldowns.

      Thanks again.

      SteveT

      Steve Litt * http://www.troubleshooters.com/
      Troubleshooting Training * Human Performance