Re: YAML that folds right?

  • Benji Fisher
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 22 11:23 AM
      On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 1:44 PM, BPJ <bpj@...> wrote:
      2013-07-22 04:01, Steve Litt skrev:

      Hi all,

      Is there something I can use to make Vim fold correctly on YAML files?

      You might look at how Python folding is done.

      Fold markers in YAML comments would *work*, I suppose, however
      inelegant.  I find myself wanting to insert navigational
      comments into large YAML files anyway.

           How close does

      :set fdm=indent

      get you? (Make sure that the 'shiftwidth' setting is right.)

      :help 'foldmethod'
      :help 'shiftwidth'

      --
      HTH
      Benji Fisher

    • Steve Litt
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 22 1:14 PM
        On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 14:23:50 -0400
        Benji Fisher <benji@...> wrote:

        > How close does
        >
        > :set fdm=indent
        >
        > get you? (Make sure that the 'shiftwidth' setting is right.)
        >
        > :help 'foldmethod'
        > :help 'shiftwidth'

        Close enough, Benji. Thank you *very* much.

        The problem, which I believe I can solve with one simple Python
        program, is that nothing in the YAML specification states that subnodes
        of different nodes or subnodes need be indented the same number of
        spaces. Therefore, different YAML files will require different
        shiftwidth settings, and even within a single YAML file, indent
        widths may be different.

        The practical effect of this is that you must set Vim's shiftwidth to a
        number less than or equal to the smallest indent in the file. In doing
        so, larger indents under some nodes might require multiple invocations
        of zc to unfold. This is not a showstopper if left untreated, and can
        be made even better if I write a Python program that parses a YAML file
        into an in-memory object, then writes back that in-memory object to a
        YAML file with consistent indentation.

        For extra credit, I'll eventually need to adapt VimOutliner's code to
        YAML so that folds don't show up *under* their parent, and so doing
        zo on a parent, as opposed to its fold, opens it. But for the time
        being, your answer scratched my itch, and I thank you for that.

        After considering a switch from Xfce to OpenBox, my UMENU menu program
        suddenly became much more important. Until now, UMENU was a deployment
        nightmare. Menu system changes required a change to an EMDL file, EMDL
        being a home-grown, fragile data file based on a tab indented outline.
        Once that change was done, a special (and complicated and hard to
        deploy) converter program converted the EMDL to .mnu files for each
        individual menu. In practice, the deployment was so bad that probably
        less than 100 people worldwide use UMENU, and it was so bad that it was
        actually hard for me, the author, to copy UMENU to a new machine. And
        even on my daily driver desktop, UMENU is always breaking because of
        these deployment issues. That's just unacceptable.

        The obvious choice, enabled by your Vim advice, is to author menu
        systems in YAML, have a UMENU server that reads the YAML into a (huge)
        in memory object tree, and handles queries from UMENU clients. This
        should be easily deployable anywhere someone can type in an unused port
        number. The YAML will also be much more readable than my kludgy EMDL.
        And thanks to Vim's folding, modifications to huge (my main EMDL file
        is over 2000 lines and at least 7 levels deep) YAML files will be easy
        drilldowns.

        Thanks again.

        SteveT

        Steve Litt * http://www.troubleshooters.com/
        Troubleshooting Training * Human Performance