vim: how to produce the html pages like the vim help html?

  • ping
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 22 6:03 AM
      this looks real nice!

      http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/

      the thing that I like it , is that it looks exactly what it is in vim ,
      compacted pure text but still URL-able, like those code cross reference
      pages generated by LXR
      (http://lxr.linux.no/linux+v3.10.2/kernel/cpu/idle.c), sth I can't
      simply archieve in vimwiki.

      what options of tools do we have (in vim or external) to generate those
      beautiful pages?

      regards
      thanks!

      ping

    • ping song

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 23 2:00 PM
          ping song wrote:
          > any help?
          >

          > On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 9:03 AM, ping <songpingemail@...
          > <mailto:songpingemail@...>> wrote:
          >
          > this looks real nice!
          >
          > http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/
          >
          > the thing that I like it , is that it looks exactly what it is in
          > vim , compacted pure text but still URL-able, like those code
          > cross reference pages generated by LXR
          > (http://lxr.linux.no/linux+v3.10.2/kernel/cpu/idle.c), sth I
          > can't simply archieve in vimwiki.
          >
          > what options of tools do we have (in vim or external) to generate
          > those beautiful pages?

          I have no idea what was used for the online vim man pages. You do know
          about TOhtml, though?

          Regards,
          C Campbell

        • Nikolay Pavlov
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 23 8:11 PM

            On Jul 24, 2013 1:00 AM, "Charles Campbell" <Charles.E.Campbell@...> wrote:

            > ping song wrote:
            >>
            >> any help?
            >>

            >> On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 9:03 AM, ping <songpingemail@... <mailto:songpingemail@...>> wrote:
            >>
            >>     this looks real nice!
            >>
            >>     http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/
            >>
            >>     the thing that I like it , is that it looks exactly what it is in
            >>     vim , compacted pure text but still URL-able, like those code
            >>     cross reference pages generated by LXR
            >>     (http://lxr.linux.no/linux+v3.10.2/kernel/cpu/idle.c),  sth I
            >>     can't simply archieve in vimwiki.
            >>
            >>     what options of tools do we have (in vim or external) to generate
            >>     those beautiful pages?
            >>
            > I have no idea what was used for the online vim man pages.  You do know about TOhtml, though?

            At least one of the maintainers uses self-written python script; he wrote about this in the announce. Maybe there a link to the script in the announce, I do not remember.

            TOhtml does not have support for links yet, though AFAIR it was promised. There is a plugin that adds them though.

            I use my own formatvim plugin. It has support for links, but recently it popped out that not all links are created that are expected. My plugin is known to be faster then TOhtml, but if you enable links comparison will become invalid: it will be slower then; "invalid" means that anything can be said only after support for links is added to TOhtml.

            > Regards,
            > C Campbell

          • ping
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 24 5:48 AM
              On 7/23/13 11:11 PM, Nikolay Pavlov wrote:

              > On Jul 24, 2013 1:00 AM, "Charles Campbell"
              > <Charles.E.Campbell@... <mailto:Charles.E.Campbell@...>> wrote:
              > >
              > > ping song wrote:
              > >>
              > >> any help?
              > >>

              > >> On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 9:03 AM, ping <songpingemail@...
              > <mailto:songpingemail@...> <mailto:songpingemail@...
              > <mailto:songpingemail@...>>> wrote:
              > >>
              > >> this looks real nice!
              > >>
              > >> http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/
              > >>
              > >> the thing that I like it , is that it looks exactly what it is in
              > >> vim , compacted pure text but still URL-able, like those code
              > >> cross reference pages generated by LXR
              > >> (http://lxr.linux.no/linux+v3.10.2/kernel/cpu/idle.c), sth I
              > >> can't simply archieve in vimwiki.
              > >>
              > >> what options of tools do we have (in vim or external) to generate
              > >> those beautiful pages?
              > >>
              > > I have no idea what was used for the online vim man pages. You do
              > know about TOhtml, though?
              >
              > At least one of the maintainers uses self-written python script; he
              > wrote about this in the announce. Maybe there a link to the script in
              > the announce, I do not remember.
              >
              > TOhtml does not have support for links yet, though AFAIR it was
              > promised. There is a plugin that adds them though.
              >
              > I use my own formatvim plugin. It has support for links, but recently
              > it popped out that not all links are created that are expected. My
              > plugin is known to be faster then TOhtml, but if you enable links
              > comparison will become invalid: it will be slower then; "invalid"
              > means that anything can be said only after support for links is added
              > to TOhtml.

              thanks.
              can you point me the plugin that adding the link function?
              or, can you share your plugin and the usage?
              I think this will make vim a real nice "cross reference page generation"
              tool...

              regards
              ping

            • Ben Fritz
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 29 5:59 AM
                On Tuesday, July 23, 2013 10:11:56 PM UTC-5, ZyX wrote:
                > On Jul 24, 2013 1:00 AM, "Charles Campbell" <Charles.E...@...> wrote:
                >

                > > ping song wrote:
                >

                > >> any help?
                >

                > >> On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 9:03 AM, ping <songpi...@... <mailto:songpi...@...>> wrote:
                >

                > >>     this looks real nice!
                >

                > >>     http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/
                >

                > >>     the thing that I like it , is that it looks exactly what it is in
                >
                > >>     vim , compacted pure text but still URL-able, like those code
                >
                > >>     cross reference pages generated by LXR
                >
                > >>     (http://lxr.linux.no/linux+v3.10.2/kernel/cpu/idle.c),  sth I
                >
                > >>     can't simply archieve in vimwiki.
                >

                > >>     what options of tools do we have (in vim or external) to generate
                >
                > >>     those beautiful pages?
                >

                > > I have no idea what was used for the online vim man pages.  You do know about TOhtml, though?
                >
                > At least one of the maintainers uses self-written python script; he wrote about this in the announce. Maybe there a link to the script in the announce, I do not remember.

                I think there is also a perl script distributed with Vim, in the runtime directory, called vim2html.pl. I'm not at all sure what it does.

                > TOhtml does not have support for links yet, though AFAIR it was promised. There is a plugin that adds them though.

                I don't know about "promised" but it would be a nice feature.

                How should it work? I haven't put any effort into such a thing because I'm not sure how it ought to work.

                I could just find any occurrence of each tag as found by the ctags interface and wrap it in a link, but to which file? TOhtml only gives you an unsaved buffer with a default file name, which the user could save anywhere with any name at all. I could just use href='./other_file.ext.html' but then the user must be sure all linked files are accessible from the same directory.

                How does formatvim handle this? Maybe consistency is the name of the game here. Or does anyone have thoughts on how they would LIKE it to work?

              • Nikolay Pavlov
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 29 12:21 PM

                  On Jul 29, 2013 4:59 PM, "Ben Fritz" <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:

                  > On Tuesday, July 23, 2013 10:11:56 PM UTC-5, ZyX wrote:

                  > > > I have no idea what was used for the online vim man pages.  You do know about TOhtml, though?
                  > >
                  > > At least one of the maintainers uses self-written python script; he wrote about this in the announce. Maybe there a link to the script in the announce, I do not remember.
                  > >

                  > I think there is also a perl script distributed with Vim, in the runtime directory, called vim2html.pl. I'm not at all sure what it does.
                  >
                  > > TOhtml does not have support for links yet, though AFAIR it was promised. There is a plugin that adds them though.
                  > >

                  > I don't know about "promised" but it would be a nice feature.
                  >
                  > How should it work? I haven't put any effort into such a thing because I'm not sure how it ought to work.
                  >
                  > I could just find any occurrence of each tag as found by the ctags interface and wrap it in a link, but to which file? TOhtml only gives you an unsaved buffer with a default file name, which the user could save anywhere with any name at all. I could just use href='./other_file.ext.html' but then the user must be sure all linked files are accessible from the same directory.
                  >
                  > How does formatvim handle this? Maybe consistency is the name of the game here. Or does anyone have thoughts on how they would LIKE it to work?

                  I link to the relative path and use perl script to postprocess. As I know for sure that angle brackets in text are escaped *always* and links format is the same all over the resulting text it is easy and safe to use regexes. Generally all this stuff is left to specification authors, but built-in HTML specification itself is not configurable. In-file links are converted to just #... as there is no need to specify file in this case. You can say whether you need links for all tags, none or just in-file ones.

                  Note that for help files I had to create start/end tag regex options in order to limit the number of cases when tag matches (these define regexes that would be wrapped into group with zero-width look-ahead/-behind modifier).