Regexp engine comparison?

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 16, 2013
      Hi. Has anyone got statistics on how the two regexp engines compare? I
      mean, the new engine was supposed to be faster, but I've seen a number
      of patches since then helping cases when it was much slower; in addition
      it seems to suffers from a number of bugs (one of which, with
      particularly complex patterns, is known to be present in Vim versions
      7.3.1153 and later and has a thread, “NFA-regexp problem in Vim
      7.4a.24”, at vim_dev).

      So:
      - Where does the new engine beat the old one hands down?
      - Where does it experience bad performance?
      - What kind of regexps are known to be particularly difficult for it?
      - Are there known filetypes whose syntax highlighting should (at the
      moment) preferably be done with the old engine?

      In a hierarchy every employee tends to rise to his level of incompetence ...
      in time every post tends to be occupied by an employee who is incompetent
      to carry out its duties ... Work is accomplished by those employees who
      have not yet reached their level of incompetence.
      -- Dr. Laurence J. Peter, "The Peter Principle"