Re: Strange motions.

  • Paul Isambert
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 14, 2013
      Nikolay Pavlov <zyx.vim@...> a écrit:
      > On Jul 14, 2013 5:21 PM, "Tim Chase" <vim@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > On 2013-07-14 15:00, Nikolay Pavlov wrote:
      > > > vim-use is not a proper place to ask such question. I forwarded your
      > > > message to vim-dev. Please discuss nothing here.
      > >
      > > This is a pretty harsh rebuke for something quite apropos of this
      > > list. It might have been a peculiar as-designed behavior, or it
      > > might have been a bug. It's also good for other members on the list
      > > to be aware of such peculiar behaviors that exhibit themselves in the
      > > running application (rather than issues in the source code itself).
      > > If anything, based on the list's history, it's far better (or at
      > > least more common) to dialog on vim-use@ until it's a confirmed bug,
      > > at which point the under-the-hood discussion moves to vim-dev@
      > >
      > > I appreciate having the issue raised here initially.
      >
      > Ok, I must apologize then. Just thought that a) there is no reason it
      > should not be a bug and b) bugs should only go to vim-dev because Bram
      > takes less attention to vim-use.

      Nothing serious anyway; just note that I’m not subscribed to vim-dev
      and do not intend to be (since most of what is posted there is way
      above my head).

      For those interested, Bram answered my message and the result is: “g$”
      is buggy, at least in “d<count>g$” (the visual version is less clear,
      see below), and will be patched accordingly. As for “<count>dd”,
      that’s normal (apparently Vi-compatible) behavior.

      Bram, about “vg$”: my “selection” is exclusive; if set to inclusive,
      then in

      abc
      ~ def
      ~ ghi

      (where the tilde again indicates a wrapped line), “v<count>g$” (from
      “a”) properly includes the last character of the apparent line;
      actually “v3g$” includes the end-of-line (I suppose), so that with “d”
      for instance the next line is joined to the current one. I suppose
      that’s normal.

      Best,
      Paul