Re: Strange motions.

  • Nikolay Pavlov
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 14 7:25 AM

      On Jul 14, 2013 5:21 PM, "Tim Chase" <vim@...> wrote:

      > On 2013-07-14 15:00, Nikolay Pavlov wrote:
      > > vim-use is not a proper place to ask such question. I forwarded your
      > > message to vim-dev. Please discuss nothing here.
      >
      > This is a pretty harsh rebuke for something quite apropos of this
      > list.  It might have been a peculiar as-designed behavior, or it
      > might have been a bug.  It's also good for other members on the list
      > to be aware of such peculiar behaviors that exhibit themselves in the
      > running application (rather than issues in the source code itself).
      > If anything, based on the list's history, it's far better (or at
      > least more common) to dialog on vim-use@ until it's a confirmed bug,
      > at which point the under-the-hood discussion moves to vim-dev@
      >
      > I appreciate having the issue raised here initially.

      Ok, I must apologize then. Just thought that a) there is no reason it should not be a bug and b) bugs should only go to vim-dev because Bram takes less attention to vim-use.

      > -tim

    • Paul Isambert
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 14 8:11 AM
        Nikolay Pavlov <zyx.vim@...> a écrit:
        > On Jul 14, 2013 5:21 PM, "Tim Chase" <vim@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > On 2013-07-14 15:00, Nikolay Pavlov wrote:
        > > > vim-use is not a proper place to ask such question. I forwarded your
        > > > message to vim-dev. Please discuss nothing here.
        > >
        > > This is a pretty harsh rebuke for something quite apropos of this
        > > list. It might have been a peculiar as-designed behavior, or it
        > > might have been a bug. It's also good for other members on the list
        > > to be aware of such peculiar behaviors that exhibit themselves in the
        > > running application (rather than issues in the source code itself).
        > > If anything, based on the list's history, it's far better (or at
        > > least more common) to dialog on vim-use@ until it's a confirmed bug,
        > > at which point the under-the-hood discussion moves to vim-dev@
        > >
        > > I appreciate having the issue raised here initially.
        >
        > Ok, I must apologize then. Just thought that a) there is no reason it
        > should not be a bug and b) bugs should only go to vim-dev because Bram
        > takes less attention to vim-use.

        Nothing serious anyway; just note that I’m not subscribed to vim-dev
        and do not intend to be (since most of what is posted there is way
        above my head).

        For those interested, Bram answered my message and the result is: “g$”
        is buggy, at least in “d<count>g$” (the visual version is less clear,
        see below), and will be patched accordingly. As for “<count>dd”,
        that’s normal (apparently Vi-compatible) behavior.

        Bram, about “vg$”: my “selection” is exclusive; if set to inclusive,
        then in

        abc
        ~ def
        ~ ghi

        (where the tilde again indicates a wrapped line), “v<count>g$” (from
        “a”) properly includes the last character of the apparent line;
        actually “v3g$” includes the end-of-line (I suppose), so that with “d”
        for instance the next line is joined to the current one. I suppose
        that’s normal.

        Best,
        Paul