Re: Strange motions.

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 14 6:42 AM
      Paul Isambert wrote:

      > Nikolay Pavlov <zyx.vim@...> a écrit:
      > > vim-use is not a proper place to ask such question. I forwarded your
      > > message to vim-dev. Please discuss nothing here.
      >
      > The division of labour is not so airtight, Nikolay. I have posted on
      > this list, and will continue to post, about things that seem strange
      > to me, just as various bugs, possible improvements and other
      > “develish” things have been discussed here. If what I’ve found is
      > indeed a bug, I will report it as required; in the meanwhile, we’re
      > discussing Vim stuff and this is a very proper place indeed. Posting
      > to vim-dev only would make sense if my message had absolutely no
      > relevance to the average Vim user; being an average Vim user myself
      > (and consequently not subscribed to vim-dev), this here list is the
      > most natural choice.

      It's very common that someone reports a bug, sends a message to vim-dev,
      and it turns out the user didn't read the documentation properly (since
      there is so much of it). Or someone asks a question on vim-use about
      how to make something work, and it turns out to be a bug.

      Most wasteful is having discussions about what should be posted where.
      Just use common sense and be forgiving.

      --
      Eye have a spelling checker, it came with my PC;
      It plainly marks four my revue mistakes I cannot sea.

    • Nikolay Pavlov
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 14 7:25 AM

        On Jul 14, 2013 5:21 PM, "Tim Chase" <vim@...> wrote:

        > On 2013-07-14 15:00, Nikolay Pavlov wrote:
        > > vim-use is not a proper place to ask such question. I forwarded your
        > > message to vim-dev. Please discuss nothing here.
        >
        > This is a pretty harsh rebuke for something quite apropos of this
        > list.  It might have been a peculiar as-designed behavior, or it
        > might have been a bug.  It's also good for other members on the list
        > to be aware of such peculiar behaviors that exhibit themselves in the
        > running application (rather than issues in the source code itself).
        > If anything, based on the list's history, it's far better (or at
        > least more common) to dialog on vim-use@ until it's a confirmed bug,
        > at which point the under-the-hood discussion moves to vim-dev@
        >
        > I appreciate having the issue raised here initially.

        Ok, I must apologize then. Just thought that a) there is no reason it should not be a bug and b) bugs should only go to vim-dev because Bram takes less attention to vim-use.

        > -tim

      • Paul Isambert
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 14 8:11 AM
          Nikolay Pavlov <zyx.vim@...> a écrit:
          > On Jul 14, 2013 5:21 PM, "Tim Chase" <vim@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > On 2013-07-14 15:00, Nikolay Pavlov wrote:
          > > > vim-use is not a proper place to ask such question. I forwarded your
          > > > message to vim-dev. Please discuss nothing here.
          > >
          > > This is a pretty harsh rebuke for something quite apropos of this
          > > list. It might have been a peculiar as-designed behavior, or it
          > > might have been a bug. It's also good for other members on the list
          > > to be aware of such peculiar behaviors that exhibit themselves in the
          > > running application (rather than issues in the source code itself).
          > > If anything, based on the list's history, it's far better (or at
          > > least more common) to dialog on vim-use@ until it's a confirmed bug,
          > > at which point the under-the-hood discussion moves to vim-dev@
          > >
          > > I appreciate having the issue raised here initially.
          >
          > Ok, I must apologize then. Just thought that a) there is no reason it
          > should not be a bug and b) bugs should only go to vim-dev because Bram
          > takes less attention to vim-use.

          Nothing serious anyway; just note that I’m not subscribed to vim-dev
          and do not intend to be (since most of what is posted there is way
          above my head).

          For those interested, Bram answered my message and the result is: “g$”
          is buggy, at least in “d<count>g$” (the visual version is less clear,
          see below), and will be patched accordingly. As for “<count>dd”,
          that’s normal (apparently Vi-compatible) behavior.

          Bram, about “vg$”: my “selection” is exclusive; if set to inclusive,
          then in

          abc
          ~ def
          ~ ghi

          (where the tilde again indicates a wrapped line), “v<count>g$” (from
          “a”) properly includes the last character of the apparent line;
          actually “v3g$” includes the end-of-line (I suppose), so that with “d”
          for instance the next line is joined to the current one. I suppose
          that’s normal.

          Best,
          Paul