Vim on Gentoo

  • Marcin Szamotulski
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 13, 2013
      Fellow Vim Users,

      I wrote ebuilds for vim which are using the hg repository you can try
      them if you want to use live version of vim. I blogged about them here:
      http://pycorner.herokuapp.com/

      Regards,
      Marcin Szamotulski

      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 13, 2013
        I noticed the subject, I am a Gentoo user and wondered want is different about the ebuilds that are mentioned here.

        thanks

        Gerald Klein DBA
        ContactMe@...
        www.geraldklein.com
        geraldklein.wordpress.com
        jk@...
        708-599-0352

        Arch/Gentoo Awesome, Ranger & Vim the coding triple threat.
        Linux registered user #548580

        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 13, 2013
          On 13:43 Sat 13 Jul , jk121960@... wrote:
          > I noticed the subject, I am a Gentoo user and wondered want is different about the ebuilds that are mentioned here.
          >

          > thanks

          They grab the tip of vim hg repo.

          Best,
          Marcin

            > I noticed the subject, I am a Gentoo user and wondered want is different about the ebuilds that are mentioned here.
            >

            > thanks

            They grab the tip of vim hg repo.

            Best,
            Marcin

          • Nikolay Pavlov
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 13, 2013

              On Jul 13, 2013 5:36 PM, "Marcin Szamotulski" <mszamot@...> wrote:

              > Fellow Vim Users,
              >
              > I wrote ebuilds for vim which are using the hg repository you can try
              > them if you want to use live version of vim.  I blogged about them here:
              > http://pycorner.herokuapp.com/

              I would not ever use this:

              - There are 9999 ebuilds in main portage tree. They contain wrong VIM_VERSION, but it is easily fixable. Guess fix will appear in the main tree soon.
              - .tzr.gz links are broken.
              - WTF is .tzr?
              - 999 in place of standard 9999.
              - Still 9999 in one case.
              - -hg suffix while none is needed.

              > Regards,
              > Marcin Szamotulski

              > ---

            • Marcin Szamotulski
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 13, 2013
                On 18:23 Sat 13 Jul , Nikolay Pavlov wrote:
                > On Jul 13, 2013 5:36 PM, "Marcin Szamotulski" <mszamot@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Fellow Vim Users,
                > >
                > > I wrote ebuilds for vim which are using the hg repository you can try
                > > them if you want to use live version of vim. I blogged about them here:
                > > http://pycorner.herokuapp.com/
                >
                > I would not ever use this:
                >
                > - There are 9999 ebuilds in main portage tree. They contain wrong
                > VIM_VERSION, but it is easily fixable. Guess fix will appear in the main
                > tree soon.
                > - .tzr.gz links are broken.
                > - WTF is .tzr?
                > - 999 in place of standard 9999.
                > - Still 9999 in one case.
                > - -hg suffix while none is needed.

                - I don't see any .tzr there are three .tar.gz files.
                - I neigther I see 999
                - -hg is needed because vim gvim and vim-core are not really working (I
                haven't checked this for a while but I did reported it while ago and
                it wasn't fixed after some time), and they are not based on the hg
                repository.

                Best,
                Marcin

              • ZyX
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 13, 2013

                  http://pycorner.herokuapp.com/blog/7/. Then you should have read your own article before posting. There are broken tzr links and 999 in “Then you need to run:” code snippet.

                  > - -hg is needed because vim gvim and vim-core are not really working (I
                  > haven't checked this for a while but I did reported it while ago and
                  > it wasn't fixed after some time), and they are not based on the hg
                  > repository.

                  AFAIR if there is ebuild in overlay and in main tree the former is preferred. So I see no need in having different names in the overlay.

                  //

                  Though I personally control this the other way: /etc/portage/package.keywords is filled with things like

                  app-arch/zpaq::gentoo ~amd64

                  or

                  app-shells/zsh-syntax-highlighting::mv ~amd64

                  (note the ::… part). By default all overlays and all non-stable packages are masked and are unmasked only with an explicit overlay setting (::gentoo is the main portage tree). This way with

                  app-editors/vim::local **

                  has no other choice but to merge either stable or 9999 version from the local overlay. This way of unmasking has an advantage of never building any code from the overlay unless I gave explicit permission (makes sense if you expect overlays to add packages from the main tree; does not make sense if you expect overlays to add malware: this is not about the security). The “by default” thing is achieved using `ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="-*"` in make.conf and `*/*::gentoo amd64` in `package.keywords/global.conf`.

                  This is why I have AFAIR in the first paragraph: I just do not care.

                  > Best,
                  > Marcin

                • Marcin Szamotulski
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 13, 2013
                    On 08:26 Sat 13 Jul , ZyX wrote:
                    > > - I don't see any .tzr there are three .tar.gz files.
                    > > - I neigther I see 999
                    >
                    > http://pycorner.herokuapp.com/blog/7/. Then you should have read your own article before posting. There are broken tzr links and 999 in “Then you need to run:” code snippet.
                    >

                    > > - -hg is needed because vim gvim and vim-core are not really working (I
                    > > haven't checked this for a while but I did reported it while ago and
                    > > it wasn't fixed after some time), and they are not based on the hg
                    > > repository.
                    >
                    > AFAIR if there is ebuild in overlay and in main tree the former is preferred. So I see no need in having different names in the overlay.
                    >
                    > //
                    >
                    > Though I personally control this the other way: /etc/portage/package.keywords is filled with things like
                    >
                    > app-arch/zpaq::gentoo ~amd64
                    >
                    > or
                    >
                    > app-shells/zsh-syntax-highlighting::mv ~amd64
                    >
                    > (note the ::… part). By default all overlays and all non-stable packages are masked and are unmasked only with an explicit overlay setting (::gentoo is the main portage tree). This way with
                    >
                    > app-editors/vim::local **
                    >
                    > has no other choice but to merge either stable or 9999 version from the local overlay. This way of unmasking has an advantage of never building any code from the overlay unless I gave explicit permission (makes sense if you expect overlays to add packages from the main tree; does not make sense if you expect overlays to add malware: this is not about the security). The “by default” thing is achieved using `ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="-*"` in make.conf and `*/*::gentoo amd64` in `package.keywords/global.conf`.
                    >
                    > This is why I have AFAIR in the first paragraph: I just do not care.
                    >

                    > > Best,
                    > > Marcin

                    You're right the -hg is indeed not needed.

                    Thanks,
                    Marcin

                  • ZyX
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 13, 2013
                      > - -hg is needed because vim gvim and vim-core are not really working (I
                      > haven't checked this for a while but I did reported it while ago and
                      > it wasn't fixed after some time), and they are not based on the hg
                      > repository.

                      vim-9999 ebuild is checking out mercurial repository as expected. More, it appears that despite incorrect VIM_VERSION files are installed to /usr/share/vim/vim74a. This version works perfectly (except for some vim73 strings hardcoded in my vimrc which has nothing to do with ebuild problems).

                    • Marcin Szamotulski
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 13, 2013
                        On 08:34 Sat 13 Jul , ZyX wrote:
                        > > - -hg is needed because vim gvim and vim-core are not really working (I
                        > > haven't checked this for a while but I did reported it while ago and
                        > > it wasn't fixed after some time), and they are not based on the hg
                        > > repository.
                        >
                        > vim-9999 ebuild is checking out mercurial repository as expected. More, it appears that despite incorrect VIM_VERSION files are installed to /usr/share/vim/vim74a. This version works perfectly (except for some vim73 strings hardcoded in my vimrc which has nothing to do with ebuild problems).

                        Good to know, I made these ebuilds a while a go when they were not working as
                        expected.

                        Marcin

                      • ZyX
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 13, 2013
                          It appears that not all files are put in the correct location: /usr/share/vim/vim73 still contains some things. These were of no value for me though, but one of them is manpager.sh script.

                        • Marcin Szamotulski
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 13, 2013
                            On 10:57 Sat 13 Jul , ZyX wrote:
                            > It appears that not all files are put in the correct location: /usr/share/vim/vim73 still contains some things. These were of no value for me though, but one of them is manpager.sh script.

                            I also usually modify the vim ebuild to remove all default colors
                            (except of colors/default.vim which might be needed for vim -U NONE
                            test), since I don't use them at all and I prefer to have a smaller set
                            in the :color completion.

                            Regards,
                            Marcin