difficulty in swap left and right pane

  • Zhang Weiwu
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 12, 2013
      Hello.

      Is there a way to swap the whole left and right pane, when each of them
      are already further spitted with 'sp'?

      Ctrl+w r in this case would swap the upper and lower pane, NOT what is
      wanted.

      Here is the full use case description:

      The usual set up for me is first to divide screen to left and right, then
      upper and lower.

      Left side the source file I am working on, the right side the other source
      file closely related. e.g. if I am working on a class, I put the code that
      uses the class on the right.

      And each of them are further splitted into upper and lower parts, so that
      I can edit the content of the file while still looking at its header, the
      variable declarations etc.

      When I switch my focus (e.g. seeing a method should change, I finished
      working on the class, and continue to update the uses of the class), it is
      difficult to switch focus from left side to right side, so it is desirable
      to swap the whole left and right pane. In order to do that, I need to
      close all horizental splits before doing Ctrl+w r.

      How about just move your focus to the right? Once I work a few hours on a
      file, my focus stay on the left side of the screen, and look right for
      references, it slows me down a lot if I need to do the reverse. Does this
      happen to others as well? I guess so.

      Thanks in advance!

    • Charles Campbell
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 12, 2013
        Zhang Weiwu wrote:
        > Hello.
        >
        > Is there a way to swap the whole left and right pane, when each of
        > them are already further splitted with 'sp'? <snip>

        Hello!

        You may find WinShuffle of help with this: see
        http://www.drchip.org/astronaut/vim/index.html#WINSHUFFLE.

        Ex. WinShuffle 3 4 1 2

        Regards,
        Chip Campbell

      • Weiwu Zhang
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 12, 2013
          Thank you! It is not what I want directly, but it is a good start to
          do some scripting for my purpose.