Re: Simplified logo concept

    Message 1 of 51 , Jul 11, 2013
      On 11/07/13 00:34, Boyko Bantchev wrote:
      >> I have two different Vim icons visible on my desktop at the moment:
      >> one for Windows and one for KDE on Fedora 11. In both cases, the
      >> word Vim is laid over the diamond and the letters are quite clear.
      >> The diamond appears as a background rather than a container.
      >
      > Even when the word Vim is laid over the diamond and not contained in
      > it, whether the letters are legible depends on the size of the icon.
      > Besides, the diamond itself tends to be much less discernible when
      > overlaid by the word.
      >
      > I am now looking at the Vim icon on my task panel (Linux Mint). The
      > 'im' of 'Vim' is completely illegible. Even the diamond is hardly
      > recognizable, as the 'V' is the same size and laid over it. (The
      > more so as the background is a square containing the diamond which
      > is almost the same green colour as the diamond.)

      With the standard Vim icon (16px square, I think, on my Gnome taskbar on
      openSUSE 12.1) everything (V, i, m, and the green diamond behind them)
      is perfectly recognizable… when I wear the proper eyeglasses for the
      distance to my screen. Yes, the V is almost the same size as the diamond
      (1px smaller maybe) but the angles of the diamond are definitely there.
      The background of my taskbar is black, BTW, and "the square containing
      the diamond" has transparent background, so no loss of contrast.

      > Even for larger icons, there is not much left of the diamond to be
      > seen behind the 'V'.

      My desktop icon is bigger (48px, I think), and there there's quite a lot
      left of the diamond. And BTW the "im" looks less amateurish there than
      on the large wiki (Monobook skin) logo.

      ARTHUR: You are indeed brave Sir knight, but the fight is mine.
      BLACK KNIGHT: Had enough?
      ARTHUR: You stupid bastard. You havn't got any arms left.
      PICTURES LTD

    • Marcin Szamotulski
      Message 51 of 51 , Nov 8, 2013
        On 10:41 Fri 08 Nov , Lucas Tadeu Teixeira wrote:
        > James Beck said:
        >
        > > What are your thoughts?
        >
        > I really liked the 8-bit icon. That green looks pretty nice.
        > But maybe the logo needs
        >
        > shawn wilson said:
        >
        > > I would also like to see the web site maintained as a public repo.
        >
        > That would be nice. The website could [certainly] use some sort of refactoring / redesign.
        >
        > --
        > Lucas Tadeu Teixeira
        > University of Campinas

        Let me vote for the new logo too. I agree that a new look is a good
        idea (also for the web site).

        Regards,
        Marcin Szamotulski