Re: Simplified logo concept

  • Ike Devolder
    Message 1 of 51 , Jul 10, 2013
      On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 12:22:58PM +0200, James Beck wrote:
      > >- Why a slab serif, and why a *slanted* slab serif? For me, that
      > > contradicts the simplicity of the design; you’re whispering with
      > > colors and screaming with the font.
      >
      > I used a slab serif to acknowledge the history of Vim running in a terminal.
      > The reason I used italics is precisely to "scream". I wanted the logo to be
      > punchy and sharp. In fact, I quite like the "whisper with color, scream with
      > the font" description. :) If I had a concern, it was about not being punchy
      > enough with the type logo.
      >
      > I initially started with other fonts, but nothing felt "vim" about it to me.
      > The old logo is also serifed, so I think some continuity helps.
      >
      > >- Lowercase initial is trendy; but is that really Vim? I wonder
      > > whether all-uppercase wouldn’t be better.
      >
      > I tried that too. This font seemed to be designed around the interaction of
      > lower-case letters. It looked too blocky and strained in all-caps.
      > Mixed-case was an option, but it created awkward interactions with other
      > design elements (the diamond, in this case).
      >
      > >As far as I’m concerned, I’d like a simple logo in a simple
      > >yet stately font: a humanist serif or even Roman capitals like Trajan.
      > >After all “Vim” is the accusative of “vis”, meaning “strength, power”,
      > >and all those kinds of properties you associate with our favorite text
      > >editors (and tyrants, too). If the green diamond must be kept in the
      > >background, though, that really makes things hard.
      >
      > For me, the green diamond is one of the more important parts of the
      > identity. The slab serif is almost secondary to the green diamond.
      >
      > >Thank you James for launching the idea and submitting proposals (I
      > >hope my criticism wasn’t too unpleasant).
      >
      > Not at all; I appreciate your feedback. I think the design I submitted works
      > really well, but that doesn't mean we can't improve it.
      >
      > James

      In general i don't care about the icon, but:

      - these day 'geeks' are not the geeks from the past
      - geeks can like nice and simple logos
      - a simple sleek logo could attract younger people

      --
      Ike
    • Marcin Szamotulski
      Message 51 of 51 , Nov 8, 2013
        On 10:41 Fri 08 Nov , Lucas Tadeu Teixeira wrote:
        > James Beck said:
        >
        > > What are your thoughts?
        >
        > I really liked the 8-bit icon. That green looks pretty nice.
        > But maybe the logo needs
        >
        > shawn wilson said:
        >
        > > I would also like to see the web site maintained as a public repo.
        >
        > That would be nice. The website could [certainly] use some sort of refactoring / redesign.
        >
        > --
        > Lucas Tadeu Teixeira
        > University of Campinas

        Let me vote for the new logo too. I agree that a new look is a good
        idea (also for the web site).

        Regards,
        Marcin Szamotulski