Re: Simplified logo concept

  • James Beck
    Message 1 of 51 , Jul 10, 2013
      > "Very busy, seven colors". So what? How many colours are there in the
      > Firefox logo? [...] But of course, /de
      > gustibus et coloribus non disputandum est/

      The points I raised were my own problems with the current vim logo, not
      a rule for everybody. The reason for my "minimal colors" requirement is
      as follows:

      1. Vim runs on very basic hardware with minimum color capabilities.
      It's hard to make a good-looking logo with only 16 colors.
      2. In my opinion, the icon can be splashy and impressive, but the logo
      needs to "work". It has to print nicely on t-shirts, mugs, and crappy
      black and white printers. It has to work even if you change the colors
      entirely. It has to stand on its own.
      3. Ideally, the logo has to stand up to time (this is difficult).
      Changes in hardware (high resolution displays, better print technology,
      faster processing for vector graphics, etc) encourage logo redesigns if
      a logo looks awful in the new tech. Changes in marketing should not
      require the logo be changed. The more simple the core identity, the
      easier it is to use it. Consider what it costs to make a Firefox
      t-shirt; they MUST use full color. Our t-shirts could be done cheaply
      with a single-color process, and it'd look just as crisp and
      professional.

      It's worth pointing out that despite the above three points, a good vim
      logo could STILL be created in a style similar to the Firefox logo. It's
      just not how I would do it. I say let people go crazy with awesome
      Firefox-esq icons if they want, but the core, official logo has to
      "work".

      James

    • Marcin Szamotulski
      Message 51 of 51 , Nov 8, 2013
        On 10:41 Fri 08 Nov , Lucas Tadeu Teixeira wrote:
        > James Beck said:
        >
        > > What are your thoughts?
        >
        > I really liked the 8-bit icon. That green looks pretty nice.
        > But maybe the logo needs
        >
        > shawn wilson said:
        >
        > > I would also like to see the web site maintained as a public repo.
        >
        > That would be nice. The website could [certainly] use some sort of refactoring / redesign.
        >
        > --
        > Lucas Tadeu Teixeira
        > University of Campinas

        Let me vote for the new logo too. I agree that a new look is a good
        idea (also for the web site).

        Regards,
        Marcin Szamotulski