Re: Simplified logo concept

  • Paul Isambert
    Message 1 of 51 , Jul 10, 2013
      "Christian Brabandt" <cblists@...> a écrit:
      > On Wed, July 10, 2013 06:22, James Beck wrote:
      > >> What's wrong with it?
      > >>

      > >> Best regards,
      > >> Tony.
      > >
      > > I have a few complaints about the original logo.
      > >
      > > 1. It's very busy (seven colors?!)
      > > 2. It doesn't print well (seven colors, hairline borders, gradients)
      > > 3. It's inconsistent (some parts are embossed, others not. Shading is done
      > > in both blue and black.)
      > > 4. The font styles ("V" and "im") are different (this makes my eyes
      > > twitch)
      > > 5. The "m" looks like someone melted it with fire. Inelegant and weird.
      > > 6. As a general rule, when loud background texture (green diamond) cuts
      > > through text, it makes me twitch (see the treatment of "im")
      >
      > Good points. I don't really like the modern flat style of icons nowadays
      > (perhaps I am just not used to it yet), but I would appreciate a new
      > fresh look of the old logo.

      I think the complaints are quite valid too, but I don’t really like
      James’s proposal either:

      - I think the logos would really fit a detergent. (I do appreciate the
      simplicity, though.)
      - Why a slab serif, and why a *slanted* slab serif? For me, that
      contradicts the simplicity of the design; you’re whispering with
      colors and screaming with the font.
      - Lowercase initial is trendy; but is that really Vim? I wonder
      whether all-uppercase wouldn’t be better.

      As far as I’m concerned, I’d like a simple logo in a simple
      yet stately font: a humanist serif or even Roman capitals like Trajan.
      After all “Vim” is the accusative of “vis”, meaning “strength, power”,
      and all those kinds of properties you associate with our favorite text
      editors (and tyrants, too). If the green diamond must be kept in the
      background, though, that really makes things hard.

      Thank you James for launching the idea and submitting proposals (I
      hope my criticism wasn’t too unpleasant).

      Best,
      Paul

    • Marcin Szamotulski
      Message 51 of 51 , Nov 8, 2013
        On 10:41 Fri 08 Nov , Lucas Tadeu Teixeira wrote:
        > James Beck said:
        >
        > > What are your thoughts?
        >
        > I really liked the 8-bit icon. That green looks pretty nice.
        > But maybe the logo needs
        >
        > shawn wilson said:
        >
        > > I would also like to see the web site maintained as a public repo.
        >
        > That would be nice. The website could [certainly] use some sort of refactoring / redesign.
        >
        > --
        > Lucas Tadeu Teixeira
        > University of Campinas

        Let me vote for the new logo too. I agree that a new look is a good
        idea (also for the web site).

        Regards,
        Marcin Szamotulski