Re: Simplified logo concept

  • James Beck
    Message 1 of 51 , Jul 9, 2013
      > What's wrong with it?
      >

      > Best regards,
      > Tony.

      I have a few complaints about the original logo.

      1. It's very busy (seven colors?!)
      2. It doesn't print well (seven colors, hairline borders, gradients)
      3. It's inconsistent (some parts are embossed, others not. Shading is done
      in both blue and black.)
      4. The font styles ("V" and "im") are different (this makes my eyes twitch)
      5. The "m" looks like someone melted it with fire. Inelegant and weird.
      6. As a general rule, when loud background texture (green diamond) cuts
      through text, it makes me twitch (see the treatment of "im")

      A shocking number of my colleagues have no idea how great Vim is. Some of
      them were surprised to learn Vim has "syntax highlighting, just like
      Eclipse!" I think this ignorance comes from two places: first, they've
      only used vim to modify .bashrc on a server somewhere through Putty, and
      second, the visual identity looks like the program was abandoned 10 years
      ago. One reason I finally decided to post this, was because git recently
      redid their logo (and it looked a lot like some of the designs I was
      playing with), and I think the result reminds people that git is a
      powerful, modern tool. I wanted the same for Vim.

      James

    • Marcin Szamotulski
      Message 51 of 51 , Nov 8, 2013
        On 10:41 Fri 08 Nov , Lucas Tadeu Teixeira wrote:
        > James Beck said:
        >
        > > What are your thoughts?
        >
        > I really liked the 8-bit icon. That green looks pretty nice.
        > But maybe the logo needs
        >
        > shawn wilson said:
        >
        > > I would also like to see the web site maintained as a public repo.
        >
        > That would be nice. The website could [certainly] use some sort of refactoring / redesign.
        >
        > --
        > Lucas Tadeu Teixeira
        > University of Campinas

        Let me vote for the new logo too. I agree that a new look is a good
        idea (also for the web site).

        Regards,
        Marcin Szamotulski