Re: Vim 7.4a ready for beta testing

  • Nikolay Pavlov
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 7, 2013

      On Jul 8, 2013 2:44 AM, "David NorthField" <tkbizz07@...> wrote:

      > Hi, Bram
      >
      > I've found bugs for vim7.4a.
      > Key mapping does not work. vim7.4a seems not parse <> notation properly.
      >
      > regards,
      > David

      You should always provide enough information. In this case it is steps to reproduce starting from "vim -u NONE -N" (note: -N. This notation must not work in compatible mode by default, this is not a bug in this case.)

> [...]
      >> ---------
      >>
      >> If you like Vim, please consider helping poor children in the south of
      >> Uganda: http://iccf-holland.org
      >>

      >> Where to get it
      >> ---------------
      >>
      >> The best way to obtain the latest Vim 7.4 is using Mercurial.
      >>         cd vim
      >>         hg update
      >> More information here: http://www.vim.org/mercurial.php
      >> The tag for this beta version is v7-4a.
      >>
      >> For MS-Windows most of you will want the self-installing executable:
      >>         ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/gvim74a.exe
      >>
      >> Information about which files to download for what system (don't use the
      >> links, they are still for Vim 7.3):
      >>         http://www.vim.org/download.php
      >>
      >> A list of mirror sites can be found here:
      >>         http://www.vim.org/mirrors.php
      >>

      >> The files available for download:
      >>
      >> UNIX:
      >> sources + runtime files, bzip2 compressed:
      >>         ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/unix/vim-7.4a.tar.bz2
      >>
      >> VARIOUS:
      >> help files converted to HTML:
      >>         ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/doc/vim74ahtml.zip
      >>
      >> MS-WINDOWS one-size-fits-all:
      >> Self-installing, includes all runtime files, loads libraries dynamically:
      >>         ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/gvim74a.exe
      >>
      >> MS-WINDOWS separate files:
      >> Runtime files:
      >>         ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/vim74art.zip
      >> GUI binary for Windows 95/98/NT/2000/XP/7:
      >>         ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/gvim74a.zip
      >> GUI binary with OLE support:
      >>         ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/gvim74aole.zip
      >> Console version for Windows NT/2000/XP/7:
      >>         ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/vim74aw32.zip
      >> Sources for PC (with CR-LF):
      >>         ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/vim74asrc.zip
      >>
      >> For debugging:
      >> ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/gvim74a.pdb
      >> ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/gvim74aole.pdb
      >> ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/vim74aw32.pdb
      >>

      >> Omitted in this version are:
      >> - The 16-bit DOS, OS/2 and Amiga versions, these are obsolete.
      >> - The 32-bit console version for MS-DOS/Windows 95/98
      >> - The 16 bit MS-Windows version
      >>

      >> Mailing lists
      >>
      >> Subject specific lists:
      >> Multi-byte issues: http://www.vim.org/maillist.php#vim-multibyte
      >> Macintosh issues:  http://www.vim.org/maillist.php#vim-mac
      >>
      >> Before you ask a question you should search the archives, someone may
      >> already have given the answer.
      >>

      >> Reporting bugs
      >> --------------
      >>
      >> Send them to <vim-dev@...>.  Please describe the problem precisely.
      >> All the time spent on answering mail is subtracted from the time that is
      >> spent on improving Vim!  Always give a reproducible example and try to
      >> find out which settings or other things influence the appearance of the
      >> bug.  Try starting without your own vimrc file: "vim -u NONE".  Try
      >> different machines if possible.  See ":help bugs" in Vim.  Send a patch

    • David NorthField
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 8, 2013
        Hi

        The reason why I've wrote this report simple is that the bug had found
        when I've simply updated vim from 7.3.x to 7.4a.

        All the mappings, which I wrote in my .vimrc file, seems not working at all.

        Try following mapping on your vim.

        map <F7> :exe "e " test.txt"<CR>

        Write this line on your .vimrc and start vim/gvim with NO option.

        Then push <F7> key on your PC.

        This mapping will start editing blank test.txt file with version 7.3.x but 7.4a.x.

        regards

      • Bram Moolenaar
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 8, 2013
          David NorthField wrote:

          > I've found bugs for vim7.4a.
          > Key mapping does not work. vim7.4a seems not parse <> notation properly.

          Most likely this is a problem with your Vim settings.

          If you really think this is a bug, please show us how to reproduce.
          Start with "vim -u NONE" to avoid your startup scripts.
          Or perhaps "vim -u NONE -N", since <> notation doesn't work in Vi
          compatibility mode.

          --
          Why don't cannibals eat clowns?
          Because they taste funny.

        • Ben Fritz
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 8, 2013
            On Monday, July 8, 2013 5:39:55 AM UTC-5, tkbi...@... wrote:
            > Hi
            >

            > The reason why I've wrote this report simple is that the bug had found
            > when I've simply updated vim from 7.3.x to 7.4a.
            >

            > All the mappings, which I wrote in my .vimrc file, seems not working at all.

            Mappings in general definitely work in 7.4. This is a VERY basic feature and 7.4 has been under development for months. Somebody would have noticed if they stopped working at all.

            > Try following mapping on your vim.
            >

            > map <F7> :exe "e " test.txt"<CR>
            >

            > Write this line on your .vimrc and start vim/gvim with NO option.

            This mapping is faulty. You have an unbalanced number of parentheses, resulting in the final <CR> being commented out.

            > Then push <F7> key on your PC.
            >

            > This mapping will start editing blank test.txt file with version 7.3.x but 7.4a.x.

            In 7.3.822, when I press <F7> with this mapping, I get:

            E121: Undefined variable: test
            E15: Invalid expression: test.txt"

            So, I suspect you have a typo in your example mapping. Do you have an actual mapping that used to work, and no longer works?

          • David NorthField
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 8, 2013
              I should send this mail to ml...
              Sorry

              2013/7/8 David NorthField <tkbizz07@...>
              Hi, all

              Confirmed that vim compiled with simple ./configure, make command worked fine...
              So, my compile scripts may doing something wrong with new Vim 7.4a.
              Sorry to have troubled you about this matter.

              Thanks.

              2013/7/8 Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...>

              David NorthField wrote:

              > I've found bugs for vim7.4a.
              > Key mapping does not work. vim7.4a seems not parse <> notation properly.

              Most likely this is a problem with your Vim settings.

              If you really think this is a bug, please show us how to reproduce.
              Start with "vim -u NONE" to avoid your startup scripts.
              Or perhaps "vim -u NONE -N", since <> notation doesn't work in Vi
              compatibility mode.

              --
              Why don't cannibals eat clowns?
              Because they taste funny.

               /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@... -- http://www.Moolenaar.net   \\\
              ///        sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
              \\\  an exciting new programming language -- http://www.Zimbu.org        ///
               \\\            help me help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF-Holland.org    ///

            • ZyX
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 13, 2013
                diff -r 1205c07d8df2 runtime/doc/version7.txt
                --- a/runtime/doc/version7.txt Сб. июля 13 16:57:24 2013 +0400
                +++ b/runtime/doc/version7.txt Сб. июля 13 21:20:00 2013 +0400
                @@ -70,6 +70,7 @@ Fixed |fixed-7.3|

                VERSION 7.4 |version-7.4|
                New regexp engine |new-regexp-engine|
                +Better vim ↔ python interface |new-python-interfac|
                Changed |changed-7.4|
                Added |added-7.4|
                Fixed |fixed-7.4|
                @@ -10182,16 +10183,168 @@ is now working fine. Previously Vim cou

                More information here: |two-engines|

                +Better vim ↔ python interface *new-python-interface*
                +-----------------------------
                +
                +Added |python-bindeval| function. Unlike |python-eval| this one returns
                + |python-Dictionary|, |python-List| and |python-Function| objects for
                + dictionaries lists and functions respectively in place of their python
                + built-in equivalents (or None if we are talking about function references).
                +For simple types this function returns python built-in types and not only
                + python `str()` like |python-eval| does. On python 3 it will return `bytes()`
                + objects in place of `str()` ones avoiding possibility of UnicodeDecodeError.
                +Interface of new objects mimics standard python `dict()` and `list()`
                + interfaces to some extent. Extent will be improved in the future.
                +
                +Added special |python-vars| objects also available for |python-buffer| and
                +|python-window|. They ease access to VimL variables from python.
                +
                +Now you no longer need to alter `sys.path` to import your module: special
                +hooks are responsible for importing from {rtp}/python2, {rtp}/python3 and
                +{rtp}/pythonx directories (for python 2, python 3 and both respectively).
                +See |python-special-path|.
                +
                +Added possibility to work with |tabpage|s through |python-tabpage| object.
                +
                +Added automatic conversion of vim errors and exceptions to python
                +exceptions.
                +
                +Changed the behavior of |python-buffers| object: it now uses buffer numbers
                +as keys in place of the index of the buffer in the internal buffer list.
                +This should not break anything as the only way to get this index was
                +iterating over |python-buffers|.
                +
                +Added |:pydo| and |:py3do| commands.
                +
                +Added |pyeval()| and |py3eval()| functions.
                +
                +Now in all places which previously accepted `str()` objects in both python
                +version both `str()` and `unicode()` (python 2) or `bytes()` and `str()`
                +(python 3) are accepted.
                +
                +|python-window| has gained `.col` and `.row` attributes that are currently
                +the only way to get internal window positions.
                +
                +Added or fixed support for `dir()` in vim python objects.
                +
                +Old python versions (≤2.2) are no longer supported. Building with them did
                +not work anyway.

                Changed *changed-7.4*
                -------

                -Todo.
                -
                +Functions:
                + Added ability to use |Dictionary-function|s for |sort()|ing, via
                + optional third argument. (Nikolay Pavlov)
                +
                + Added special |expand()| argument that expands to the current line
                + number.
                +
                + Made it possible to force |char2nr()| always give unicode codepoints
                + regardless of current encoding. (Yasuhiro Matsumoto)
                +
                + Made it possible for functions generating file list generate |List|
                + and not NL-separated string. (e.g. |glob()|, |expand()|) (Christian
                + Brabandt)
                +
                + Functions that obtain variables from the specific window, tabpage or
                + buffer scope dictionary can now return specified default value in
                + place of empty string in case variable is not found. (|gettabvar()|,
                + |getwinvar()|, |getbufvar()|) (Shougo Matsushita, Hirohito Higashi)
                +
                + Added ability to automatically save selection into the system
                + clipboard when using non-GUI version of vim (autoselectplus in
                + 'clipboard'). Also added ability to use system clipboard as default
                + register (previously only primary selection could be used). (Ivan
                + Krasilnikov, Christian Brabandt, Bram Moolenaar)
                +
                + Added special 'shiftwidth' value that makes 'sw' follow 'tabstop'. As
                + indenting via 'indentexpr' became tricky |shiftwidth()| function was
                + added. Also added equivalent special value to 'softtabstop' option.
                + (Christian Brabandt, so8res)
                +
                + Added ability to delete comment leader when using |J| by `j` flag in
                + 'formatoptions' (|fo-table|). (Lech Lorens)
                +
                + Added ability to control indentation inside namespaces: |cino-N|.
                + (Konstantin Lepa)
                +
                + Added ability to control alignment inside `if` condition separately
                + from alignment inside function arguments: |cino-k|. (Lech Lorens)
                +
                + Added ability to show absolute number in number column when
                + 'relativenumber' option is on. (Christian Brabandt)
                +
                +Comands:
                + Made it possible to remove all signs from the current buffer using
                + |:sign-unplace|. (Christian Brabandt)
                +
                + Added |:language| autocompletion. (Dominique Pelle)
                +
                + |:diffoff| now saves the local values of some settings and restores
                + them in place of blindly resetting them to the defaults. (Christian
                + Brabandt)
                +
                + Added |:map-nowait| creating mapping which when having lhs that is the
                + prefix of another mapping’s lhs will not allow vim to wait for user to
                + type more characters to resolve ambiguity, forcing vim to take the
                + shorter alternative: one with <nowait>.
                +
                + Added more |:command-complete| completion types: |:behave| suboptions,
                + color schemes, compilers, |:cscope| suboptions, files from 'path',
                + |:history| suboptions, locale names, |:syntime| suboptions, user
                + names. (Dominique Pelle)
                +
                +Other:
                + Improved support for cmd.exe. (Ben Fritz, Bram Moolenaar)
                +
                + Added |v:windowid| variable containing current window number in GUI
                + vim. (Christian J. Robinson, Lech Lorens)
                +
                + Lua interface now also uses userdata binded to vim structures. (Taro
                + Muraoka, Luis Carvalho)
                +
                + Added rxvt-unicode and >xterm-277 mouse support. (Yiding Jia, Hayaki
                + Saito)

                Added *added-7.4*
                -----

                +Added support for |Lists| and |Dictionaries| in |viminfo|. (Christian
                +Brabandt)
                +
                +Functions:
                + Bitwise functions: |and()|, |or()|, |invert()|, |xor()|.
                +
                + Added |luaeval()| function. (Taro Muraoka, Luis Carvalho)
                +
                + Added |sha256()| function. (Tyru, Hirohito Higashi)
                +
                + Added |wildmenumode()| function. (Christian Brabandt)
                +
                + Debugging functions: |screenattr()|, |screenchar()|, |screencol()|,
                + |screenrow()|. (Simon Ruderich, Bram Moolenaar)
                +
                +Autocommands:
                + Added |InsertCharPre| event launched before inserting character.
                + (Jakson A. Aquino)
                +
                + Added |CompleteDone| event launched after finishing completion in
                + insert mode. (idea by Florian Klein)
                +
                + Added |QuitPre| event launched when commands that can either close vim
                + or only some window(s) are launched.
                +
                + Added |TextChanged| and |TextChangedI| events launched when text is
                + changed.
                +
                +Commands:
                + |:syntime| command useful for debugging.
                +
                + Made it possible to ignore case when completing: 'wildignorecase'.
                +
                Various syntax, indent and other plugins were added.