Workflow to generate vim documentation

  • Javier Mediavilla Vegas
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 3 4:23 AM
      Hi all,
      I am interested in the process followed to create vim documentation. That is, when do they put a tag to a paragraph? What format must the comply? Some paragraphs are tagged with E<number>. I suppose there is a database containing a database with E<number> database that explains something.

      Regards,
      Javier.

    • glts
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 3 4:50 AM
        Javier,

        On Wednesday, July 3, 2013 1:23:42 PM UTC+2, Javier Mediavilla Vegas wrote:
        > I am interested in the process followed to create vim documentation. That is, when do they put a tag to a paragraph? What format must the comply? Some paragraphs are tagged with E<number>. I suppose there is a database containing a database with E<number> database that explains something.

        there is a short introduction on writing help files at
        ":h write-local-help".

        Best,
        David

      • Marc Weber
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 3 4:54 AM
          1) take a help file you like, such as :h
          2) run :helptags your-dir or such to create a tag directory

          That's all there is to learn about vim's help system.

          Enr are anchors to vim internal error messages which you may hit in rare
          cases.

          Eg try :h E270

          set conceallevel=0, syn off may be helpful to find the special
          characters making a difference link/anchor. | and *

          Marc Weber

        • Javier Mediavilla Vegas
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 3 10:08 AM
            What I meant is that I want to write something with the level of consistency like vim has it's help files. I wanted to know if there is some public document of the process to create the documentation (not only for adding a documentation for a plugin).
            I have found a messages.txt file in documentation with the text messages to E<number>. Why did they put a tag in a command that produce a message error instead of a link to that error message?

            Another thing about tags, If you type :help a}, there are tags like v_a} and a}. Why did they put v_a}.
            Another thing is, Did they follow some strong style in the pages so they can extract automatically things with makefiles or automatic tools? In the help page that David pointed say that the first line of the plugin help page is shown in local-additions.
            Do they do the same thing to create indexes for the first page?

            Another thing that I am curious and didn't find. Does anyone know which function process vim help pages to make them fancy format? Because if you open directly a page with vim the text is not align as you see when you do :help.

          • Marc Weber
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 3 10:16 AM
              > Another thing that I am curious and didn't find. Does anyone know
              > which function process vim help pages to make them fancy format?
              echo &buftype is "help" that's also why :h :h does only show help once.
              echo &filetype is help which is why it looks so nice (syntax etc)

              e $VIMRUNTIME/syntax/help.vim etc

              I don't have nice replies for your other questions currently.

              Marc Weber