ctags: how to search through results of tag finding

  • Jacek Czaja
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3, 2013
      Hello,

      Quite often I come across an issue that when I locate some tag from Vim I'm given few dozen of results. Even That I have tags generated for my C++ code base still I have plenty of results and It took a time to pick the one I think is proper. So I want to search through results and so far I redirected ex output into register
      then I pasted register's content into current buffer and searched through it and then I undone pasting and chose proper option from my results list. Is there a better solution to do that? I'm using fuzzy finder plugin as part of my vim config and I would expect it to have something like that but I wasn't able to find
      such an functionality. Please advice.

      Regards,
      Jacek

    • Marcin Szamotulski
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 3, 2013
        On 10:01 Wed 03 Jul , Jacek Czaja wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > Quite often I come across an issue that when I locate some tag from Vim I'm
        > given few dozen of results. Even That I have tags generated for my C++ code
        > base still I have plenty of results and It took a time to pick the one I
        > think is proper. So I want to search through results and so far I
        > redirected ex output into register
        > then I pasted register's content into current buffer and searched through
        > it and then I undone pasting and chose proper option from my results list.
        > Is there a better solution to do that? I'm using fuzzy finder plugin as
        > part of my vim config and I would expect it to have something like that but
        > I wasn't able to find
        > such an functionality. Please advice.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Jacek

        > ---

        There is :tselect command, and you can use command completion for
        example c_CTRL-D (:help c^d) might be useful. You can also mix it with
        a wildcard:
        :tag *aaa^d

        Best regards,
        Marcin

      • Yegappan Lakshmanan
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 3, 2013

          On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 1:01 AM, Jacek Czaja <jacek.czaja@...> wrote:
          > Hello,
          >
          > Quite often I come across an issue that when I locate some tag from Vim I'm
          > given few dozen of results. Even That I have tags generated for my C++ code
          > base still I have plenty of results and It took a time to pick the one I
          > think is proper. So I want to search through results and so far I redirected
          > ex output into register
          > then I pasted register's content into current buffer and searched through it
          > and then I undone pasting and chose proper option from my results list. Is
          > there a better solution to do that? I'm using fuzzy finder plugin as part of
          > my vim config and I would expect it to have something like that but I wasn't
          > able to find
          > such an functionality. Please advice.

          You can use the ":ltag <name>" command. This will add all the matching
          tags to the location list for the current window. You can use the location list
          commands to jump or search the matching tags.

          BTW, the location list/window feature was added originally to support this
          command.

          - Yegappan