Re: How to change just 1 color of the default colorscheme

  • Ben Fritz
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 26, 2013
      On Wednesday, June 26, 2013 12:20:52 PM UTC-5, Charles Campbell wrote:

      > * Second, change the color. You can put overrides into
      >
      > $HOME/.vim/after/colors/TheColorschemeNameHere.vim .

      This doesn't actually work.

      Bram, is there a reason it doesn't? I've wanted an after/colors directory on several occasions.

      To prove it doesn't work on Windows (from your $HOME\vimfiles directory):

      echo echomsg "normal colors sourced"> colors\tester.vim
      mkdir after\colors
      echo echomsg "after colors sourced"> after\colors\tester.vim
      gvim
      :colors tester

      I only see one message, "normal colors sourced".

    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 26, 2013
        Ben Fritz wrote:

        > On Wednesday, June 26, 2013 12:20:52 PM UTC-5, Charles Campbell wrote:
        > >
        > > * Second, change the color. You can put overrides into
        > >
        > > $HOME/.vim/after/colors/TheColorschemeNameHere.vim .
        > >

        > This doesn't actually work.
        >
        > Bram, is there a reason it doesn't? I've wanted an after/colors
        > directory on several occasions.

        Well, it's always been that way...

        You can setup an autocommand for the ColorScheme event to make changes
        afterwards.

        Continuing to find more matching files after the first one has been
        found would require changes in existing files, to avoid loading two
        complete color schemes. I don't think this is common enough to risk
        breaking something.

        --
        "To whoever finds this note -
        I have been imprisoned by my father who wishes me to marry

      • Salman Halim
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 26, 2013
          On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 2:16 PM, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:

          Ben Fritz wrote:

          > On Wednesday, June 26, 2013 12:20:52 PM UTC-5, Charles Campbell wrote:
          > >
          > > * Second, change the color.  You can put overrides into
          > >
          > > $HOME/.vim/after/colors/TheColorschemeNameHere.vim .
          > >

          > This doesn't actually work.
          >
          > Bram, is there a reason it doesn't? I've wanted an after/colors
          > directory on several occasions.

          Well, it's always been that way...

          You can setup an autocommand for the ColorScheme event to make changes
          afterwards.

          Continuing to find more matching files after the first one has been
          found would require changes in existing files, to avoid loading two
          complete color schemes.  I don't think this is common enough to risk
          breaking something.

          I get around this by having a colorscheme called "mySolarized" or "myOriginalName" and starting by sourcing the original and then changing whatever I want to change. (Usually, setting up user colours on the status line.)

          Hope this helps,

          Salman