AW: compatibility with Sun's original vi for command :su

  • Paul Maier
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 26, 2013
      Bram wrote:
      > The POSIX spec has a bug: it says that :s means :substitute, which means
      > anything starting with :s means :substitute, including :su. But then
      > :suspend can be abbreviated to :su, that's a conflict.

      The compatibility mode tries to emulate the behaviour of original Sun's vi,
      even if it is a bug there. Vim does this at several places.

      With a new cpo flag, the user would have a choice to configure vim to personal
      habits. (I have been using original Sun vi for 10 years, typing :su, not
      considering that I am using a bug. Now I am used to it.)

      Tony wrote:
      > cnoreabbrev <expr> su
      > \ ((getcmdtype() == ':' && getcmdpos() <= 3)? 'suspend' : 'su')

      Thanks Tony, this works 100% great!

      In case you developer guys don't want a new cpo flag, maybe you want to add
      Tony's line to the help page.
      (see :help Y for an example of such a line in the help)

      Regards,
      Paul