Re: compatibility with Sun's original vi for command :su

  • Christian Brabandt
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 25, 2013
      On Mon, June 24, 2013 23:54, Paul Maier wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > the original vi on Sun took :su as :suspend,
      > whereas vim takes :su as :substitute.
      >
      > I am very used to typing :su.
      >
      > Would it be possible for VIM 7.4 to add a new compatibility flag to
      > cpoptions
      > about the meaning of :su ?
      >
      > suggested compatible flag: :su = :suspend, :s = :substitute
      > without the flag: :su = :substitute

      Looks like a bug to me. POSIX also requires :su to be used for
      :suspend (http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908799/xcu/ex.html)

      Do we need a new cpo setting here, or should it be enough to
      patch vim to take :su as :suspend?

      regards,
      Christian

    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 25, 2013
        Christian Brabandt wrote:

        > On Mon, June 24, 2013 23:54, Paul Maier wrote:
        > > Hi,
        > >
        > > the original vi on Sun took :su as :suspend,
        > > whereas vim takes :su as :substitute.
        > >
        > > I am very used to typing :su.
        > >
        > > Would it be possible for VIM 7.4 to add a new compatibility flag to
        > > cpoptions
        > > about the meaning of :su ?
        > >
        > > suggested compatible flag: :su = :suspend, :s = :substitute
        > > without the flag: :su = :substitute
        > >

        > Looks like a bug to me. POSIX also requires :su to be used for
        > :suspend (http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908799/xcu/ex.html)
        >
        > Do we need a new cpo setting here, or should it be enough to
        > patch vim to take :su as :suspend?

        The POSIX spec has a bug: it says that :s means :substitute, which means
        anything starting with :s means :substitute, including :su. But then
        :suspend can be abbreviated to :su, that's a conflict.

        Relevant quotes:

        For each of the commands listed below, the command can be
        entered as the abbreviation (those characters in the Synopsis
        command word preceding the [), the full command (all characters
        shown for the command word, omitting the [ and ]), or any subset
        of the characters of the full command down to the abbreviation.
        For example, the args command (shown as ar[gs] in the Synopsis)
        can be entered as ar, arg or args.

        [...]

        Substitute

        Synopsis: [range] s[ubstitute] [/pattern/repl/[options] [count] [flags]]

        [...]

        Suspend

        Synopsis: su[spend][!]

        Making an exception for :su to mean :suspend instead of :substitute
        would be weird.

        --
        GALAHAD: No. Look, I can tackle this lot single-handed!
        GIRLS: Yes, yes, let him Tackle us single-handed!

      • Paul Maier
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 26, 2013
          Bram wrote:
          > The POSIX spec has a bug: it says that :s means :substitute, which means
          > anything starting with :s means :substitute, including :su. But then
          > :suspend can be abbreviated to :su, that's a conflict.

          The compatibility mode tries to emulate the behaviour of original Sun's vi,
          even if it is a bug there. Vim does this at several places.

          With a new cpo flag, the user would have a choice to configure vim to personal
          habits. (I have been using original Sun vi for 10 years, typing :su, not
          considering that I am using a bug. Now I am used to it.)

          Tony wrote:
          > cnoreabbrev <expr> su
          > \ ((getcmdtype() == ':' && getcmdpos() <= 3)? 'suspend' : 'su')

          Thanks Tony, this works 100% great!

          In case you developer guys don't want a new cpo flag, maybe you want to add
          Tony's line to the help page.
          (see :help Y for an example of such a line in the help)

          Regards,
          Paul