Re: Vim 7.3 - Odd behaviour with Log file ESC sequences

  • Ben Fritz
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 24, 2013
      On Monday, June 24, 2013 5:29:15 AM UTC-5, Philip Rhoades wrote:

      > John Little <John.B.Little <at> gmail.com> writes:
      > > The output of
      > >
      > > :scriptnames
      > >
      > > can aid understanding in these situations. "normal" behaviour of vim
      > > is to display escape sequences like
      > > your second case, not the first; in that first case there must be a
      > > script, or commands in a .vimrc, causing
      > > the sequences to be interpreted; the one I know about is AnsiEsc.vim,
      > > http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=302.
      >

      > The output of :scriptnames hereunder but I still don't understand - does
      > it mean that one of those scripts is recognising the directory that the
      > log file is in and causing Vim to change it's display of the log file?

      No. :scriptnames shows you every script that Vim has loaded since startup.

      I notice your posted scriptnames output did NOT include a plugin like AnsiEsc. Would I be right to assume that your posted output applied to the case where escape sequences were shown as literal escape characters instead of being hidden?

      In this case scriptnames is most useful if you can compare the output of the working case to the non-working case to see what differs.

      As for the 1G command not working (to go to the top line), see the output of:

      :verbose map G

      .
    • Matteo Cavalleri
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 24, 2013
        Il giorno lunedì 24 giugno 2013 12:29:15 UTC+2, Philip Rhoades ha scritto:

        > > your second case, not the first; in that first case there must be a
        >
        > > script, or commands in a .vimrc, causing
        >
        > > the sequences to be interpreted; the one I know about is AnsiEsc.vim,
        >
        > > http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=302.
        >

        > The output of :scriptnames hereunder but I still don't understand - does
        >
        > it mean that one of those scripts is recognising the directory that the
        >
        > log file is in and causing Vim to change it's display of the log file?

        rails.vim might be the culprit. the fact it alters the output of the file only when it's in an app proper log's directory is another hint in that direction.

      • Philip Rhoades
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 24, 2013
          Matteo,

          On 2013-06-24 23:28, Matteo Cavalleri wrote:
          > Il giorno lunedì 24 giugno 2013 12:29:15 UTC+2, Philip Rhoades ha
          > scritto:
          >
          >> > your second case, not the first; in that first case there must be a
          >>
          >> > script, or commands in a .vimrc, causing
          >>
          >> > the sequences to be interpreted; the one I know about is AnsiEsc.vim,
          >>
          >> > http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=302.
          >>

          >> The output of :scriptnames hereunder but I still don't understand -
          >> does
          >>
          >> it mean that one of those scripts is recognising the directory that
          >> the
          >>
          >> log file is in and causing Vim to change it's display of the log file?
          >>

          > rails.vim might be the culprit. the fact it alters the output of the
          > file only when it's in an app proper log's directory is another hint
          > in that direction.

          Yep, that's it - thanks!

          Phil.
          --