Re: Color schemes with colorcolumn support?

  • seanh
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 22, 2013
      > my favorite has been biogoo for a long time

      That's a really nice color scheme (with colorcolumn support), thanks!

    • seanh
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 22, 2013
        > > An alternative solution would be to set the color of the colorcolumn
        > > based on some other color from the theme, so it works with themes that
        > > don't know about colorcolumn. Set it to the highlight current line
        > > color, which a lot more themes seem to have, or to the background color
        > > but 10% darker or lighter. I don't know how to do either of these things
        > > though.
        >
        > (snip)
        >
        > Some options to try:
        >
        > :hi! link ColorColumn StatusLine
        >
        > :hi! link ColorColumn CursorLine

        This works, thanks, I tried a few and it seems most themes look
        reasonable with one or the other of these `:hi! link` commands.

        I also use this, to highlight all columns from 80 onwards with the
        ColorColumn background color, rather than just a single column, I think
        that looks nicer:

        let &colorcolumn=join(range(80,999),",")

        (from: http://stackoverflow.com/a/13731714).

        If the theme defines a CursorLine background color, that will likely be
        the best color for ColorColumn as well. If it doesn't have a CursorLine
        background color (many themes don't) then StatusLine seems a good
        fallback. I think the algorithm should be:

        if cursorline is activated:
        if the colorscheme does not define a ColorColumn color:
        if it defines a CursorLine background color:
        :hi! link ColorColumn background CursorLine
        else if it defines a StatusLine background color:
        :hi! link ColorColumn StatusLine
        else:
        Print out a warning.

        And this function should be automatically executed whenever cursorline
        is turned on and whenever the colorscheme is changed.

        I may try and implement this at some point.

      • seanh
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 22, 2013
          > If the theme defines a CursorLine background color, that will likely be
          > the best color for ColorColumn as well. If it doesn't have a CursorLine
          > background color (many themes don't) then StatusLine seems a good
          > fallback. I think the algorithm should be:
          >
          > if cursorline is activated:
          > if the colorscheme does not define a ColorColumn color:
          > if it defines a CursorLine background color:
          > :hi! link ColorColumn background CursorLine
          > else if it defines a StatusLine background color:
          > :hi! link ColorColumn StatusLine
          > else:
          > Print out a warning.
          >
          > And this function should be automatically executed whenever cursorline
          > is turned on and whenever the colorscheme is changed.

          There is an autocommand event for ColorScheme. There isn't one for
          'when cursorline is turned on' but I don't think that would be needed,
          actually. The problem is that I can't see any way to ask Vim
          "does the current color scheme define a ColorColumn background color?"

        • Ben Fritz
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 23, 2013
            On Saturday, June 22, 2013 3:48:26 PM UTC-5, Sean Hammond wrote:

            > The problem is that I can't see any way to ask Vim
            >
            > "does the current color scheme define a ColorColumn background color?"

            You don't need to know. Just use "hi def" instead of plain "hi" and it won't override anything set previously.