Color schemes with colorcolumn support?

  • seanh
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 21, 2013
      Anyone know any good color schemes with colorcolumn support? Most vim
      color schemes seem to have been written before the colorcolumn option
      was added, and the colorcolumn tends to show in a color that clashes
      really badly with the rest of the theme (e.g. bright red).

      I have a lot of Vim themes installed, and by the test of grepping my
      colors dir for colorcolumn I found only these ones that seem to define a
      color for it (admittedly this test may give false negatives):

      Dark:

      jellybeans
      codeschool
      distinguished
      vividchalk

      Light: mayansmoke

      Supports both dark or light:

      hemisu

      base16: There's a lot of variations of this theme, unfortunately they
      don't seem to work at all in my terminal Vim.

      From what I've seen so far, Hemisu is pretty good, I recommend it.

      An alternative solution would be to set the color of the colorcolumn
      based on some other color from the theme, so it works with themes that
      don't know about colorcolumn. Set it to the highlight current line
      color, which a lot more themes seem to have, or to the background color
      but 10% darker or lighter. I don't know how to do either of these things
      though.

    • tooth pik
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 21, 2013
        On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 10:33:49PM +0200, seanh wrote:
        > Anyone know any good color schemes with colorcolumn support? Most vim
        > color schemes seem to have been written before the colorcolumn option
        > was added, and the colorcolumn tends to show in a color that clashes
        > really badly with the rest of the theme (e.g. bright red).

        > I have a lot of Vim themes installed, and by the test of grepping my
        > colors dir for colorcolumn I found only these ones that seem to define a
        > color for it (admittedly this test may give false negatives):

        > Dark:

        > jellybeans
        > codeschool
        > distinguished
        > vividchalk

        > Light: mayansmoke

        > Supports both dark or light:

        my favorite has been biogoo for a long time

        --
        _|_ _ __|_|_ ._ o|
        |_(_)(_)|_| ||_)||<

      • Bee
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 21, 2013
          On Friday, June 21, 2013 1:33:49 PM UTC-7, Sean Hammond wrote:
          > Anyone know any good color schemes with colorcolumn support? Most vim
          >
          > color schemes seem to have been written before the colorcolumn option
          >
          > was added, and the colorcolumn tends to show in a color that clashes
          >
          > really badly with the rest of the theme (e.g. bright red).
          >

          > I have a lot of Vim themes installed, and by the test of grepping my
          >
          > colors dir for colorcolumn I found only these ones that seem to define a
          >
          > color for it (admittedly this test may give false negatives):
          >

          > Dark:
          >

          > jellybeans
          >
          > codeschool
          >
          > distinguished
          >
          > vividchalk
          >

          > Light: mayansmoke
          >

          > Supports both dark or light:
          >

          > hemisu
          >

          > base16: There's a lot of variations of this theme, unfortunately they
          >
          > don't seem to work at all in my terminal Vim.
          >

          > From what I've seen so far, Hemisu is pretty good, I recommend it.
          >

          > An alternative solution would be to set the color of the colorcolumn
          >
          > based on some other color from the theme, so it works with themes that
          >
          > don't know about colorcolumn. Set it to the highlight current line
          >
          > color, which a lot more themes seem to have, or to the background color
          >
          > but 10% darker or lighter. I don't know how to do either of these things
          >
          > though.

          This is in .vimrc:

          if exists("+colorcolumn")
          set colorcolumn=+1 " textwidth+n
          "? set colorcolumn=64,72,80 " specific columns
          hi ColorColumn NONE ctermbg=Cyan
          endif

          This is in .gvimrc:

          hi ColorColumn NONE guibg=Cyan

          :help 'colorcolumn'

          Some options to try:

          :hi! link ColorColumn StatusLine

          :hi! link ColorColumn CursorLine

          Bill

        • seanh
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 22, 2013
            > my favorite has been biogoo for a long time

            That's a really nice color scheme (with colorcolumn support), thanks!

          • seanh
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 22, 2013
              > > An alternative solution would be to set the color of the colorcolumn
              > > based on some other color from the theme, so it works with themes that
              > > don't know about colorcolumn. Set it to the highlight current line
              > > color, which a lot more themes seem to have, or to the background color
              > > but 10% darker or lighter. I don't know how to do either of these things
              > > though.
              >
              > (snip)
              >
              > Some options to try:
              >
              > :hi! link ColorColumn StatusLine
              >
              > :hi! link ColorColumn CursorLine

              This works, thanks, I tried a few and it seems most themes look
              reasonable with one or the other of these `:hi! link` commands.

              I also use this, to highlight all columns from 80 onwards with the
              ColorColumn background color, rather than just a single column, I think
              that looks nicer:

              let &colorcolumn=join(range(80,999),",")

              (from: http://stackoverflow.com/a/13731714).

              If the theme defines a CursorLine background color, that will likely be
              the best color for ColorColumn as well. If it doesn't have a CursorLine
              background color (many themes don't) then StatusLine seems a good
              fallback. I think the algorithm should be:

              if cursorline is activated:
              if the colorscheme does not define a ColorColumn color:
              if it defines a CursorLine background color:
              :hi! link ColorColumn background CursorLine
              else if it defines a StatusLine background color:
              :hi! link ColorColumn StatusLine
              else:
              Print out a warning.

              And this function should be automatically executed whenever cursorline
              is turned on and whenever the colorscheme is changed.

              I may try and implement this at some point.

            • seanh
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 22, 2013
                > If the theme defines a CursorLine background color, that will likely be
                > the best color for ColorColumn as well. If it doesn't have a CursorLine
                > background color (many themes don't) then StatusLine seems a good
                > fallback. I think the algorithm should be:
                >
                > if cursorline is activated:
                > if the colorscheme does not define a ColorColumn color:
                > if it defines a CursorLine background color:
                > :hi! link ColorColumn background CursorLine
                > else if it defines a StatusLine background color:
                > :hi! link ColorColumn StatusLine
                > else:
                > Print out a warning.
                >
                > And this function should be automatically executed whenever cursorline
                > is turned on and whenever the colorscheme is changed.

                There is an autocommand event for ColorScheme. There isn't one for
                'when cursorline is turned on' but I don't think that would be needed,
                actually. The problem is that I can't see any way to ask Vim
                "does the current color scheme define a ColorColumn background color?"

              • Ben Fritz
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 23, 2013
                  On Saturday, June 22, 2013 3:48:26 PM UTC-5, Sean Hammond wrote:

                  > The problem is that I can't see any way to ask Vim
                  >
                  > "does the current color scheme define a ColorColumn background color?"

                  You don't need to know. Just use "hi def" instead of plain "hi" and it won't override anything set previously.