C-6 is toggling between only last 2 open buffer

  • rudrab
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 20, 2013
      Hello friends,
      I am using project and minibufexpl(mbx) with my vim.
      The problem is using <C-6>, the buffer only toggles between last two open buffer, and not the *all* buffer open.
      Though, I can move through all the open buffers using mbx's way, (go to mbx window and keep pressing arrow), a <C-6> like alternative would have been helpful if it can span through *all* open buffers.

      Any help please?

    • Christian Brabandt
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 20, 2013
        On Thu, June 20, 2013 11:02, rudrab wrote:
        > Hello friends,
        > I am using project and minibufexpl(mbx) with my vim.
        > The problem is using <C-6>, the buffer only toggles between last two open
        > buffer, and not the *all* buffer open.
        > Though, I can move through all the open buffers using mbx's way, (go to
        > mbx window and keep pressing arrow), a <C-6> like alternative would have
        > been helpful if it can span through *all* open buffers.
        >
        > Any help please?

        That is basically how it works. <C-6> only edits the alternate file and
        does not switch between other buffers.

        See

        :h CTRL-6
        :h alternate-file

        To switch between other buffers, you can use e.g. this mapping:

        nnoremap <f6> :ls<cr>:b

        alternatively, use one of the many plugins available (like unite or
        ctrlp). You might need to google for plugins, I am not sure,
        those mentioned provide this functionality.

        BTW: what is mbx?

        regards,
        Christian

      • tooth pik
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 20, 2013
          On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 11:47:11AM +0200, Christian Brabandt wrote:
          > On Thu, June 20, 2013 11:02, rudrab wrote:
          > > Hello friends,
          > > I am using project and minibufexpl(mbx) with my vim.
          > > The problem is using <C-6>, the buffer only toggles between last two open
          > > buffer, and not the *all* buffer open.
          > > Though, I can move through all the open buffers using mbx's way, (go to
          > > mbx window and keep pressing arrow), a <C-6> like alternative would have
          > > been helpful if it can span through *all* open buffers.
          > >
          > > Any help please?

          > That is basically how it works. <C-6> only edits the alternate file and
          > does not switch between other buffers.

          > See

          > :h CTRL-6
          > :h alternate-file

          > To switch between other buffers, you can use e.g. this mapping:

          > nnoremap <f6> :ls<cr>:b

          > alternatively, use one of the many plugins available (like unite or
          > ctrlp). You might need to google for plugins, I am not sure,
          > those mentioned provide this functionality.

          > BTW: what is mbx?

          the one I like best is

          nnoremap <TAB> :bnext<CR>
          nnoremap <S-TAB> :bprev<CR>