announce: vim-addon-errorformats

  • Marc Weber
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 19, 2013
      I've been running "vim-addon-actions" for quite a while which let's you
      bind actions such as "run make" or "run rake" to a key or buf write
      event.

      Now both rake and make run other tools (gcc, ocaml, whatever you want) -
      thus parsing error formats is hard.

      There are also different ways to parse error formats, and different user
      preferences..

      :compiler is great, but its not perfect, because it does not run in
      background, and you cannot get the error format only.

      For this reason I started a new repository for collecting error formats
      only.

      :Errorformat ocaml_simple gcc

      would set efm to error format lines of ocaml_simple, then appending gcc
      error format lines.

      If you're interested in the efm string only you can use thins function:

      let efm_str=vim_addon_errorformats#InputErrorFormat('ocaml_simple ruby python')

      Does any project which does the same already exists which I should merge
      with?

      If you want to join contributing to this small one purpose repository
      you're welcome.

      Marc Weber

    • Sam Roberts
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 22, 2013
        On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 6:34 AM, Marc Weber <marco-oweber@...> wrote:
        > Now both rake and make run other tools (gcc, ocaml, whatever you want) -
        > thus parsing error formats is hard.

        This is a fabulous idea, I will check it out.

        I have been really struggling do node development, because when I do
        :make to run my unit tests, the error formats can be a node backtrace,
        a mocha report, or a jshint warning. Technically, I guess I can set
        the error formats up as seperate compilers, and run each stage
        differently, except that doesn't work when using tools that wrap
        around several others... increasingly common, and very helpful!

        I think having the :compiler builtins somehow expose their
        errorformats for use, or if vim had a ":compiler+ mocha node jshint"
        command, that worked for all compilers, that would be really useful.

        Sam

      • Marc Weber
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 22, 2013
          Excerpts from Sam Roberts's message of Sat Jun 22 19:05:20 +0200 2013:
          You really want to checkout github.com/MarcWeber/vim-addon-actions, too.
          Because the make action does ask for error formats.
          While writing the library I noticed that completion for input breaks if
          you try to complete a second word, is this a known issue? It should
          behave like command, where the same implementation works. Is this a
          known issue?

          Contribute your error formats and be happy.

          Join and start having fun with Vim.

          > I think having the :compiler builtins somehow expose their
          > errorformats for use, or if vim had a ":compiler+ mocha node jshint"
          > command, that worked for all compilers, that would be really useful.

          THere is a problem with "exposing" the error formats: You have to patch
          Vim, and this will take a long time. The only chance is writing a script
          extracting the error formats, or run :compiler FOO, and reset everything
          it did .. no matter how I look at it, it doesn't get my job done, so
          I'll copy my error formats into my library and I'll be happy.

          Marc Weber

        • Marc Weber
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 23, 2013
            The error formats from compiler can be used, too
            rtp_javac eg represents the error format defined in the compiler/javac
            file. The implementation is hacky but works.

            Marc Weber