Re: g[lobal] with s[ubstitute]

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 18, 2013
      Christian Brabandt wrote:

      > On Di, 18 Jun 2013, Tim Chase wrote:

      > > > So basically, you need to "quit"/"all" for each line again.
      > > >
      > > > Here is a patch, that makes "q" abort for all invocations of :s
      > > > commands commands when used in conjuction with :g and 'a' work
      > > > across all invocations of ':s' commands when using :g
      > >
      > > I'm not sure Bram would except this, as it does break traditional
      > > behavior. Granted, *MOST* of the time, your patch does what I want.
      > > However, there have been times that I've wanted to have selective
      > > control for a given block:
      > >
      > > :g/Henry/'{;'}s/William/Mary/gc
      > >
      > > where I want to review whether this particular paragraph containing
      > > "Henry" is one in which I want to do the substitutions, in which case
      > > I either do or don't want to do all the substitutions in the
      > > paragraph. Your patch breaks that.
      > >
      > > I think I'd prefer it as an extra response to the confirmation:
      > >
      > > :g/foo/s/bar/baz/gc
      > > replace with baz (y/n/a/A/q/Q/l/^E/^Y)?
      > >
      > > where "Q" would quit globally like your patch does while "q" would
      > > just quit for this invocation of :s and "A" would answer "All"
      > > globally, while the "a" would do all of the replacements for the
      > > current invocation. Ideally, this prompt would be dynamically created
      > > so that the "A" and "Q" options only show up in the event we're
      > > nested inside a :g command; if not inside a :g command then the
      > > prompt remains as it currently is. From my quick testing here, Vim
      > > ignores the capital letters when replying to this question, so it's
      > > not like the new uses would mask behavior someone might have been
      > > using.
      >
      > Attached is an updated patch, implementing your suggestions, as well as
      > a hit '?' to show a help banner.
      >
      > Bram, if this gets merged, I think it makes sense to also merge the 'u'
      > flag for undo the last substitution (that I have posted a while ago).

      Do they interfere? It's always better to keep change separate if
      possible, so that when one of them causes trouble we can revert it.

      > {
      > sub_nsubs = 0;
      > sub_nlines = 0;
      > + global_do_ask = TRUE;

      This name is a bit confusing, since it doesn't actually switch on
      asking. How about global_stop_asking? It's set to FALSE at the start
      and end of :global, when A or Q is typed then it's set to TRUE.

      246. You use up your free 100 hours in less than a week.