render bengali font in vim

  • rudrab
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 17, 2013
      Hello friends,
      I am trying to write in bengali(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bengali_alphabet)
      using gvim. The font rendering is not correct.
      I have tried gedit, and rendering is correct there.
      To compare, see http://imagebin.org/261702 for gedit and http://imagebin.org/261703 for gvim (all the non-english is actually bengaly, see the difference in eg line number 590)

      and if that helps:
      $vi --version
      VIM - Vi IMproved 7.3 (2010 Aug 15, compiled May 14 2013 13:17:57)
      Included patches: 1-415, 417-944
      Modified by <bugzilla@...>
      Compiled by <bugzilla@...>
      Huge version with GTK2 GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
      +arabic +file_in_path +mouse_sgr +tag_binary
      +autocmd +find_in_path -mouse_sysmouse +tag_old_static
      +balloon_eval +float +mouse_urxvt -tag_any_white
      +browse +folding +mouse_xterm -tcl
      ++builtin_terms -footer +multi_byte +terminfo
      +byte_offset +fork() +multi_lang +termresponse
      +cindent +gettext -mzscheme +textobjects
      +clientserver -hangul_input +netbeans_intg +title
      +clipboard +iconv +path_extra +toolbar
      +cmdline_compl +insert_expand +perl +user_commands
      +cmdline_hist +jumplist +persistent_undo +vertsplit
      +cmdline_info +keymap +postscript +virtualedit
      +comments +langmap +printer +visual
      +conceal +libcall +profile +visualextra
      +cryptv +linebreak +python/dyn +viminfo
      +cscope +lispindent -python3 +vreplace
      +cursorbind +listcmds +quickfix +wildignore
      +cursorshape +localmap +reltime +wildmenu
      +dialog_con_gui -lua +rightleft +windows
      +diff +menu +ruby/dyn +writebackup
      +digraphs +mksession +scrollbind +X11
      +dnd +modify_fname +signs -xfontset
      -ebcdic +mouse +smartindent +xim
      +emacs_tags +mouseshape -sniff +xsmp_interact
      +eval +mouse_dec +startuptime +xterm_clipboard
      +ex_extra +mouse_gpm +statusline -xterm_save
      +extra_search -mouse_jsbterm -sun_workshop
      +farsi +mouse_netterm +syntax
      system vimrc file: "/etc/vimrc"
      user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
      user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
      system gvimrc file: "/etc/gvimrc"
      user gvimrc file: "$HOME/.gvimrc"
      fall-back for $VIM: "/etc"
      f-b for $VIMRUNTIME: "/usr/share/vim/vim73"
      Compilation: gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_GTK -pthread -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0 -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libpng15 -I/usr/include/libdrm -I/usr/include/harfbuzz -I/usr/local/include -O2 -g -pipe -Wall -fexceptions -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -m64 -mtune=generic -D_GNU_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=1
      Linking: gcc -L. -Wl,-z,relro -rdynamic -Wl,-export-dynamic -Wl,--enable-new-dtags -Wl,-rpath,/usr/lib64/perl5/CORE -Wl,-z,relro -L/usr/local/lib -Wl,--as-needed -o vim -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgio-2.0 -lpangoft2-1.0 -lpangocairo-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lcairo -lpango-1.0 -lfreetype -lfontconfig -lgobject-2.0 -lglib-2.0 -lSM -lICE -lXpm -lXt -lX11 -lSM -lICE -lm -lnsl -lselinux -lncurses -lacl -lattr -lgpm -ldl -Wl,--enable-new-dtags -Wl,-rpath,/usr/lib64/perl5/CORE -fstack-protector -L/usr/lib64/perl5/CORE -lperl -lresolv -lnsl -ldl -lm -lcrypt -lutil -lpthread -lc

      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 17, 2013
        On 17/06/13 22:38, rudrab wrote:
        > Hello friends,
        > I am trying to write in bengali(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bengali_alphabet)
        > using gvim. The font rendering is not correct.
        > I have tried gedit, and rendering is correct there.
        > To compare, see http://imagebin.org/261702 for gedit and http://imagebin.org/261703 for gvim (all the non-english is actually bengaly, see the difference in eg line number 590)

        I think this is expected (even if unfortunate) in the present state of
        Vim code. The scripts of the Indian subcontinent (devanagari, bengali,
        etc.) have very complex rules for combining successive codepoints into
        glyphs, and (unlike what happened a few years ago for Arabic) no one has
        tackled them so far. Basically, Vim normally displays successive Unicode
        codepoints in the text as successive glyphs on screen, each of them
        occupying one screen cell (with a few exceptions such as wide CJK, hard
        tabs, Arabic lam-alif, combining characters, etc.). AFAIK Vim doesn't
        know how to handle Indian subcontinent scripts any differently than e.g.
        ASCII, and this gives imperfect results for these very special scripts.

        Have you tried displaying your bengali text in vim (not gvim) running in
        an mlterm terminal under X11? mlterm is a full-bidi terminal and Vim
        knows it (see the help paragraph about the 'mlterm' setting) so it might
        be somewhat better there. I wouldn't bet my life on it though.

        If someone (you?) were to add the necessary modules to gvim to display
        these scripts correctly, the results might be accepted by Bram after the
        author tested his new code extensively — it's just that no one has come
        up and done it so far. I have a hunch that a single set of routines
        should be applicable to the whole family of Indian subcontinent scripts,
        but I don't know *either* them or the Vim code well enough to do it
        myself. Contributors welcome!

        Hacker's Law:
        The belief that enhanced understanding will necessarily stir a
        nation to action is one of mankind's oldest illusions.