ANN: vim-online-thesaurus -- a Vim plugin for looking up words in an online thesaurus

  • Anton Beloglazov
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 15, 2013
      Hi All,

      vim-online-thesaurus -- is a new plugin for Vim allowing you to look up words in an online thesaurus, which is at the moment configured to be http://thesaurus.com/ It's lightweight and does not require you to store a database of words locally. The plugin displays the definition of the word under the cursor and a list of synonyms, as shown on the screenshot:

      Homepage: https://github.com/beloglazov/vim-online-thesaurus

      The credit for the original idea and code goes to Nick Coleman: http://www.nickcoleman.org/

      ## Installation

      If you are using Vundle, just add the following line to your .vimrc:

      Bundle 'beloglazov/vim-online-thesaurus'

      Then run `:BundleInstall` to install the plugin.

      ## Usage

      The plugin provides the `:OnlineThesaurusLookup` command to look up the current word under the cursor in an online thesaurus. The command makes a request to http://thesaurus.com/, parses results, and displays them in a vertical split in the bottom. By default the `:OnlineThesaurusLookup` command is mapped to `<LocalLeader>K`. If you haven't remapped `<LocalLeader>`, it defaults to `\`. To close the split, just press `q`.

      ## Configuration

      If you want to disable the default key binding, add the following line to your .vimrc:

      let g:online_thesaurus_map_keys = 0

      Then you can map the `:OnlineThesaurusLookup` command to anything you want as follows:

      nnoremap <your key binding> :OnlineThesaurusLookup<CR>

      Enjoy!

      Best regards,
      Anton

    • Jacobo de Vera
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 18, 2013
        On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 7:12 AM, Anton Beloglazov
        <anton.beloglazov@...> wrote:
        > Hi All,
        >
        > vim-online-thesaurus -- is a new plugin for Vim allowing you to look up
        > words in an online thesaurus, which is at the moment configured to be
        > http://thesaurus.com/ It's lightweight and does not require you to store a
        > database of words locally. The plugin displays the definition of the word
        > under the cursor and a list of synonyms, as shown on the screenshot:
        >
        > https://github.com/beloglazov/vim-online-thesaurus/raw/master/screenshot.png

        Thanks for the plugin. Also, what is the font used in the screenshot?
        It's very nice.
        Jacobo de Vera
        http://www.jacobodevera.com

      • Paul
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 18, 2013
          Thanks. I can really use this.

          Note 404 error

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 18, 2013
            On Tuesday, 18 June 2013 20:38:22 UTC+10, Jacobo de Vera wrote:
            > On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 7:12 AM, Anton Beloglazov
            >
            > > Hi All,
            >

            > > vim-online-thesaurus -- is a new plugin for Vim allowing you to look up
            >
            > > words in an online thesaurus, which is at the moment configured to be
            >
            > > http://thesaurus.com/ It's lightweight and does not require you to store a
            >
            > > database of words locally. The plugin displays the definition of the word
            >
            > > under the cursor and a list of synonyms, as shown on the screenshot:
            >

            > > https://github.com/beloglazov/vim-online-thesaurus/raw/master/screenshot.png
            >

            > Thanks for the plugin. Also, what is the font used in the screenshot?
            >
            > It's very nice.
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > --
            >
            > Jacobo de Vera
            >
            > http://www.jacobodevera.com

            Thanks, Jacobo! The font is called Terminus.

            Cheers,
            Anton

          • Anton Beloglazov
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 18, 2013
              Hi Paul,

              The link to the screenshot in my first post works for me. The correct link is:

              https://raw.github.com/beloglazov/vim-online-thesaurus/master/screenshot.png

              Cheers,
              Anton

              On Tuesday, 18 June 2013 21:46:13 UTC+10, Paul wrote:
              > Thanks. I can really use this.
              >

              > Note 404 error
              >
              > --https://github.com/beloglazov/vim-online-thesaurus/raw/master/screensh

            • ping

                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 18, 2013
                  Hi Ping,

                  No, at the moment the plugin only supports English.

                  Cheers,
                  Anton