Re: Sending buffer to Vim server

  • Claus Atzenbeck
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 13, 2013
      On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 at 12:56am -0000, Marcin Szamotulski wrote:

      > You cannot send buffers to a server. But you can read buffers: just use
      > :edit filename, and when vim detects that there was a change choose
      > [R]eadonly. Alternatively you can write a function which ask the
      > server for a buffer's contents and puts it to new buffer in the 'email'
      > instance of vim.

      Thanks for the reply. This led me to a good solution: I start Vim from
      within my mail client as "vim --servername mail", which enables me to
      open files there from within any other vim instance. For that I added
      the following to my .vimrc:

      function! OpenOnVimServerMail()
      exec '!view --servername mail --remote-tab "%"'
      endfunction
      nmap <leader>m :call OpenOnVimServerMail()<cr>

      Possibly there is a more elegant solution, but it works.

      Best,
      Claus