Re: Relative line numbering and current line

  • Ben Fritz
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 2, 2013
      On Sunday, June 2, 2013 3:43:06 AM UTC-5, glts wrote:
      > On Sunday, June 2, 2013 8:13:05 AM UTC+2, toothpik wrote:
      > > On Sat, Jun 01, 2013 at 10:27:23PM -0700, Ben Fritz wrote:
      > > > But, I personally support an option to control this. I like even
      > > > better the idea of 'relativenumber' and 'number' combining together
      > > > instead of being mutually exclusive. There have been a couple
      > > > patches submitted for both of these methods.
      > >
      > > but Bram has been quoted as not wanting more options in this area --
      > > it's a conundrum
      >
      > Wait, the big advantage of that little scheme is that no new options are
      > required. 'number' and 'relativenumber' work together to satisfy both
      > the absolutists and the relativists (of either kind) alike.
      >
      > https://groups.google.com/d/msg/vim_use/fjG8gaeqpRc/zZU4X8_yRGIJ
      >
      > The question is whether it is confusing. And I think it is a very valid
      > question.

      I think all it takes is a help note. In :help 'number' replace the bit about resetting 'relativenumber' with something like:

      "If 'relativenumber' is also set, puts the line number only on the line with the cursor"

      And at :help 'relativenumber' replace the bit about resetting 'number' with something like:

      "If 'number' is also set, the line with the cursor contains the line number, otherwise zero."

    • tooth pik
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 2, 2013
        On Sun, Jun 02, 2013 at 12:50:10PM -0700, Ben Fritz wrote:
        > On Sunday, June 2, 2013 3:43:06 AM UTC-5, glts wrote:
        > > >
        > > > but Bram has been quoted as not wanting more options in this area --
        > > > it's a conundrum
        > >
        > > Wait, the big advantage of that little scheme is that no new options are
        > > required. 'number' and 'relativenumber' work together to satisfy both
        > > the absolutists and the relativists (of either kind) alike.
        > >
        > > https://groups.google.com/d/msg/vim_use/fjG8gaeqpRc/zZU4X8_yRGIJ
        > >
        > > The question is whether it is confusing. And I think it is a very valid
        > > question.

        > I think all it takes is a help note. In :help 'number' replace the bit about resetting 'relativenumber' with something like:

        > "If 'relativenumber' is also set, puts the line number only on the line with the cursor"

        > And at :help 'relativenumber' replace the bit about resetting 'number' with something like:

        > "If 'number' is also set, the line with the cursor contains the line number, otherwise zero."

        +1 Ben! I didn't understand this approach til I saw this email! I
        like it too.

        --
        _|_ _ __|_|_ ._ o|
        |_(_)(_)|_| ||_)||<

      • Gary Johnson
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 2, 2013
          On 2013-06-02, tooth pik wrote:
          > On Sun, Jun 02, 2013 at 12:50:10PM -0700, Ben Fritz wrote:
          > > On Sunday, June 2, 2013 3:43:06 AM UTC-5, glts wrote:

          > > > Wait, the big advantage of that little scheme is that no new options are
          > > > required. 'number' and 'relativenumber' work together to satisfy both
          > > > the absolutists and the relativists (of either kind) alike.
          > > >
          > > > https://groups.google.com/d/msg/vim_use/fjG8gaeqpRc/zZU4X8_yRGIJ
          > > >
          > > > The question is whether it is confusing. And I think it is a very valid
          > > > question.
          >
          > > I think all it takes is a help note. In :help 'number' replace
          > > the bit about resetting 'relativenumber' with something like:
          >
          > > "If 'relativenumber' is also set, puts the line number only on
          > > the line with the cursor"
          >
          > > And at :help 'relativenumber' replace the bit about resetting
          > > 'number' with something like:
          >
          > > "If 'number' is also set, the line with the cursor contains the
          > > line number, otherwise zero."
          >
          > +1 Ben! I didn't understand this approach til I saw this email! I
          > like it too.

          I like this, too. Even though I don't use and don't even like
          'relativenumber' at the moment, I may change my mind. If I do, I'd
          like to be able to try both formats and choose the one I prefer.
          This seems like a clean, straightforward solution.

          Regards,
          Gary

        • Chris Lott
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 2, 2013
            On Sun, Jun 2, 2013 at 2:43 PM, tooth pik <toothpik6@...> wrote:

            Ben Fritz wrote:
            >> I think all it takes is a help note. In :help 'number' replace the bit about resetting 'relativenumber' with something like:
            >>
            >> "If 'relativenumber' is also set, puts the line number only on the line with the cursor"
            >>
            >> And at :help 'relativenumber' replace the bit about resetting 'number' with something like:
            >>
            >> "If 'number' is also set, the line with the cursor contains the line number, otherwise zero."
            >>
            > +1 Ben! I didn't understand this approach til I saw this email! I
            > like it too.

            I echo this sentiment: I really wasn't understanding the issue at all
            until this message. But now I not only understand, but it seems like a
            preferable setup to me.

            Chris Lott <chris@...>