Re: which terminal

  • sinbad
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 2, 2013
      On Jun 1, 9:03 pm, ZyX <zyx....@...> wrote:
      > > > Never saw problems with scrolling in xterm. I personally use konsole.
      > > > And WTF is "native split scrolling"?
      >
      > > If sinbad means to split a terminal window and let each portion have its own scroll buffer, I'd recommend tmux, regardless of terminal emulator. Splitting the "screen" is something tmux excels at.
      >
      > Such splitting is not a tiny bit helpful with diff split slowness problem. Thus I am assuming it is not what sinbad meant.

      > > If sinbad means to split a terminal window and let each portion have its own scroll buffer

      no this is not what i want, i already use tmux and with split windows
      and if one of the
      window emitting lot of output the performance of tmux comes to halt, i
      raised this
      issue with tmux mailing lists as well, i was told that the with split
      mode tmux has to
      redraw the entire screen and hence the slowness.

      i've been living with this for very long time, if i have a vertical
      split tmux or vertical split
      vim, the performance is very bad, there is noticeable lag for the
      cursor movements.
      hence my original question. i'm really surprised to know that others
      like ZyX don't
      see the problem like i do, may be something is wrong with my setup,
      but i doubt
      if that's the case.

      -sinbad

    • Sam Roberts
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 2, 2013
        Sinbad, you might take a shot at trying different fonts. The terminal
        performance can actually be dominated by font rendering speed, which
        isn't directly related to the terminal.

      • sinbad
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 2, 2013
          On Sunday, June 2, 2013 9:30:07 PM UTC+5:30, Sam Roberts wrote:
          > Sinbad, you might take a shot at trying different fonts. The terminal
          >
          > performance can actually be dominated by font rendering speed, which
          >
          > isn't directly related to the terminal.

          i use courier new font. i connect to the linux server using putty.
          i set the font in the putty client.

          -sinbad