Re: Relative line numbering and current line

  • glts
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 2, 2013
      On Saturday, June 1, 2013 7:13:56 PM UTC+2, Grant wrote:
      > ... But I think
      > it is against the spirit of vim that we should remove useful
      > functionality (non-wasteful relative line number functionality) that
      > people depend on without at least giving them some backwards
      > compatibility.

      Agreed.

      Backwards compatibility seems to be one of the guiding principles in Vim
      development. But backwards compatibility is not only a strictly
      technical concept, it should include remaining backwards compatible with
      the reasonable expectations and practices of the users. In that sense,
      the absolute current line number is a decidedly backwards incompatible
      change.

      Anyway, people have made up their minds. Some think it's useful, some
      think it's distracting. For some people it adds value, for some people
      it subtracts value. Let's please make it customizable.

    • glts
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 2, 2013
        On Sunday, June 2, 2013 8:13:05 AM UTC+2, toothpik wrote:
        > On Sat, Jun 01, 2013 at 10:27:23PM -0700, Ben Fritz wrote:
        > > But, I personally support an option to control this. I like even
        > > better the idea of 'relativenumber' and 'number' combining together
        > > instead of being mutually exclusive. There have been a couple
        > > patches submitted for both of these methods.
        >
        > but Bram has been quoted as not wanting more options in this area --
        > it's a conundrum

        Wait, the big advantage of that little scheme is that no new options are
        required. 'number' and 'relativenumber' work together to satisfy both
        the absolutists and the relativists (of either kind) alike.

        https://groups.google.com/d/msg/vim_use/fjG8gaeqpRc/zZU4X8_yRGIJ

        The question is whether it is confusing. And I think it is a very valid
        question.

      • Ben Fritz
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 2, 2013
          On Sunday, June 2, 2013 3:43:06 AM UTC-5, glts wrote:
          > On Sunday, June 2, 2013 8:13:05 AM UTC+2, toothpik wrote:
          > > On Sat, Jun 01, 2013 at 10:27:23PM -0700, Ben Fritz wrote:
          > > > But, I personally support an option to control this. I like even
          > > > better the idea of 'relativenumber' and 'number' combining together
          > > > instead of being mutually exclusive. There have been a couple
          > > > patches submitted for both of these methods.
          > >
          > > but Bram has been quoted as not wanting more options in this area --
          > > it's a conundrum
          >
          > Wait, the big advantage of that little scheme is that no new options are
          > required. 'number' and 'relativenumber' work together to satisfy both
          > the absolutists and the relativists (of either kind) alike.
          >
          > https://groups.google.com/d/msg/vim_use/fjG8gaeqpRc/zZU4X8_yRGIJ
          >
          > The question is whether it is confusing. And I think it is a very valid
          > question.

          I think all it takes is a help note. In :help 'number' replace the bit about resetting 'relativenumber' with something like:

          "If 'relativenumber' is also set, puts the line number only on the line with the cursor"

          And at :help 'relativenumber' replace the bit about resetting 'number' with something like:

          "If 'number' is also set, the line with the cursor contains the line number, otherwise zero."

        • tooth pik
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 2, 2013
            On Sun, Jun 02, 2013 at 12:50:10PM -0700, Ben Fritz wrote:
            > On Sunday, June 2, 2013 3:43:06 AM UTC-5, glts wrote:
            > > >
            > > > but Bram has been quoted as not wanting more options in this area --
            > > > it's a conundrum
            > >
            > > Wait, the big advantage of that little scheme is that no new options are
            > > required. 'number' and 'relativenumber' work together to satisfy both
            > > the absolutists and the relativists (of either kind) alike.
            > >
            > > https://groups.google.com/d/msg/vim_use/fjG8gaeqpRc/zZU4X8_yRGIJ
            > >
            > > The question is whether it is confusing. And I think it is a very valid
            > > question.

            > I think all it takes is a help note. In :help 'number' replace the bit about resetting 'relativenumber' with something like:

            > "If 'relativenumber' is also set, puts the line number only on the line with the cursor"

            > And at :help 'relativenumber' replace the bit about resetting 'number' with something like:

            > "If 'number' is also set, the line with the cursor contains the line number, otherwise zero."

            +1 Ben! I didn't understand this approach til I saw this email! I
            like it too.

            --
            _|_ _ __|_|_ ._ o|
            |_(_)(_)|_| ||_)||<

          • Gary Johnson
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 2, 2013
              On 2013-06-02, tooth pik wrote:
              > On Sun, Jun 02, 2013 at 12:50:10PM -0700, Ben Fritz wrote:
              > > On Sunday, June 2, 2013 3:43:06 AM UTC-5, glts wrote:

              > > > Wait, the big advantage of that little scheme is that no new options are
              > > > required. 'number' and 'relativenumber' work together to satisfy both
              > > > the absolutists and the relativists (of either kind) alike.
              > > >
              > > > https://groups.google.com/d/msg/vim_use/fjG8gaeqpRc/zZU4X8_yRGIJ
              > > >
              > > > The question is whether it is confusing. And I think it is a very valid
              > > > question.
              >
              > > I think all it takes is a help note. In :help 'number' replace
              > > the bit about resetting 'relativenumber' with something like:
              >
              > > "If 'relativenumber' is also set, puts the line number only on
              > > the line with the cursor"
              >
              > > And at :help 'relativenumber' replace the bit about resetting
              > > 'number' with something like:
              >
              > > "If 'number' is also set, the line with the cursor contains the
              > > line number, otherwise zero."
              >
              > +1 Ben! I didn't understand this approach til I saw this email! I
              > like it too.

              I like this, too. Even though I don't use and don't even like
              'relativenumber' at the moment, I may change my mind. If I do, I'd
              like to be able to try both formats and choose the one I prefer.
              This seems like a clean, straightforward solution.

              Regards,
              Gary

            • Chris Lott
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 2, 2013
                On Sun, Jun 2, 2013 at 2:43 PM, tooth pik <toothpik6@...> wrote:

                Ben Fritz wrote:
                >> I think all it takes is a help note. In :help 'number' replace the bit about resetting 'relativenumber' with something like:
                >>
                >> "If 'relativenumber' is also set, puts the line number only on the line with the cursor"
                >>
                >> And at :help 'relativenumber' replace the bit about resetting 'number' with something like:
                >>
                >> "If 'number' is also set, the line with the cursor contains the line number, otherwise zero."
                >>
                > +1 Ben! I didn't understand this approach til I saw this email! I
                > like it too.

                I echo this sentiment: I really wasn't understanding the issue at all
                until this message. But now I not only understand, but it seems like a
                preferable setup to me.

                Chris Lott <chris@...>