Relative line numbering and current line

  • Grant Farnsworth
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 1, 2013
      I've been distressed by the direction the discussion on the addition
      of the absolute line number to the relative line number functionality
      has gone. More specifically, I don't see enough champions of relative
      numbering fighting to keep it useful and economical and I'm afraid the
      discussion with die before fixing the current state of things.
      Perhaps the problem is that relative number users are too small a
      minority to fight for themselves. The addition of the current
      absolute line number to relative line numbering is a serious usability
      regression for relative numbering and I would hate for it to make it
      into 7.4 as it is.

      From what I can tell, the hasty discussion that added the absolute
      line number to the current relative line columns was motivated by the
      fact that leaving a zero there wastes two characters of screen space
      without any benefit besides looking nice and drawing the eye. Further
      argument is that some people don't have the line number in their
      statusline and may want to know what the current line number is with
      some frequency.

      1. Taking line numbers out of the status line and ruler line is a
      choice the user can make, and one that I have to think a small number
      of people choose. They aren't forced not to know where they are in
      the file and can easily put that information in the status or ruler
      without any loss of functionality.

      2. The current line number is not all that important a piece of
      information for a relative line number user. I jump around, copy
      blocks, and do many other things with relative line numbering
      constantly and I have never typed the number of my current line.
      That's what the dot is for. Knowing the line number of nearby lines
      could be useful, but that's one advantage of absolute line numbers
      that relative line number users choose to sacrifice.

      3. Having that fat number in the numbering column increases its width.
      Instead of wasting two characters of space with a zero, we now waste
      one or two (or more) whole columns all the time and there is no way a
      relative line user can avoid this waste. Relative and absolute
      numbering are both useful, but I chose relative line numbering largely
      because it never occupies more than two columns of screen space while
      absolute numbers suck up way more (and take a different amount of
      space depending on where I am in the file).

      4. I can live with poor aesthetics, especially if it provides really
      useful functionality, but adding a big fat absolute number to the
      column without any option to remove it is a major visual wart that
      doesn't add significant information or functionality.

      The discussion of how to solve this regression keeps getting shut down
      because people point out that Bram (again hastily, I think) said we
      don't need to provide options for everything, which many have
      interpreted has him being unwilling to fix this problem. But I think
      it is against the spirit of vim that we should remove useful
      functionality (non-wasteful relative line number functionality) that
      people depend on without at least giving them some backwards
      compatibility. I have a hard time imagining who would choose to have
      the absolute line number in that column after using it for a while.
      Those who do must be a small group indeed. The discussion should be
      about whether we want to add an additional option to include the
      current line number in order to benefit this small group, not whether
      or not we need to preserve the existing functionality by adding an
      option to undo the broken-ness that was just recently introduced.

      Adding an absolute line number to relative line numbering sounds like
      a cute idea. I was for it until I started using it. But in practice
      it introduces the downsides of absolute numbering to relative
      numbering without bringing the upsides. It's a pretty serious step
      backwards. Whether it gets reverted or an additional option added to
      use the 0 again doesn't matter to me, as long as vim gets changed back
      to full usefulness without me having to patch my local copy all the
      time. The worst choice would be to leave this wasteful eyesore in
      (and include it in 7.4) with no option for people to remove it besides
      ceasing the use of relative line numbering altogether.

      Let's not benefit the few at the expense of the many.
      Grant

    • tooth pik
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 1, 2013
        On Sat, Jun 01, 2013 at 01:13:56PM -0400, Grant Farnsworth wrote:
> [...]

        > or not we need to preserve the existing functionality by adding an
        > option to undo the broken-ness that was just recently introduced.

        > Adding an absolute line number to relative line numbering sounds like
        > a cute idea. I was for it until I started using it. But in practice
        > it introduces the downsides of absolute numbering to relative
        > numbering without bringing the upsides. It's a pretty serious step
        > backwards. Whether it gets reverted or an additional option added to
        > use the 0 again doesn't matter to me, as long as vim gets changed back
        > to full usefulness without me having to patch my local copy all the
        > time. The worst choice would be to leave this wasteful eyesore in
        > (and include it in 7.4) with no option for people to remove it besides
        > ceasing the use of relative line numbering altogether.

        > Let's not benefit the few at the expense of the many.

        well said -- I agree completely, but the ones who need to get behind
        this in order to make it happen seem convinced the zero is useless and
        the absolute is cool. They've quoted Bram as saying he doesn't want
        another option to control this, and Bram did not contradict that
        statement (too busy maybe?).

        my opinion is we don't need to create an option for it, we simply need
        to revert to the zero and leave it !#@$$@#$#W$! alone

        I've modified my copy of screen.c with the attitude "you can't fight
        city hall" -- the bad news here is even with the zero back the width
        of that field stays huge on a big file, even though it dosn't need to
        -- I probably need to dig some more and find where it gets the width
        -- dang I hate this

        --
        _|_ _ __|_|_ ._ o|
        |_(_)(_)|_| ||_)||<

      • Bee
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 1, 2013
          I would like the option to have the current line in the relative
          number column show the relative position in the file as a percent
          00-99 without the '%' character.

          I could 'set numberwidth=2', it would consume the smallest space and
          be consistent with the concept of relative.

          Bill

        • Bee
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 1, 2013
            --OR--
            3 characters as with :help 'ruler'

            Top first line is visible
            Bot last line is visible
            All first and last line are visible
            45% relative position in the file

            Bill

          • Grant Farnsworth
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 1, 2013
              > I've modified my copy of screen.c with the attitude "you can't fight
              > city hall" -- the bad news here is even with the zero back the width
              > of that field stays huge on a big file, even though it dosn't need to
              > -- I probably need to dig some more and find where it gets the width
              > -- dang I hate this

              It sounds like your modifications are the removal of the if blocks
              around lines 2239 and 3510. To fix the width we need to edit the
              number_width() function and replace

              lnum = wp->w_buffer->b_ml.ml_line_count;

              with

              if (wp->w_p_rnu && !wp->w_p_nu)
              lnum = wp->w_height;
              else
              lnum = wp->w_buffer->b_ml.ml_line_count;

              I believe that will revert vim to the previous, cleaner behavior.

              I worry that asking for other things besides zero (as Bee is) will get
              the whole idea tossed out. On the other hand the absolute number
              thing seems to have at least a couple of fans on the dev list, so
              having a bunch of different possibilities for what gets put where the
              zero belongs might be more likely than getting it reverted.

              It's hard to see relative number users not objecting to the current
              behavior. When I opened screen.c to find this stuff, I counted the
              columns being used. It was 6. That is a lot of wasted screen in an
              80 column terminal.

              This is my first discussion on vim_use. Perhaps I should have brought
              it up on the vim_dev list instead? I'm not sure it will get noticed
              here.

            • tooth pik
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 1, 2013
                On Sat, Jun 01, 2013 at 10:10:32PM -0400, Grant Farnsworth wrote:
                > > I've modified my copy of screen.c with the attitude "you can't fight
                > > city hall" -- the bad news here is even with the zero back the width
                > > of that field stays huge on a big file, even though it dosn't need to
                > > -- I probably need to dig some more and find where it gets the width
                > > -- dang I hate this

                > It sounds like your modifications are the removal of the if blocks
                > around lines 2239 and 3510.

                exactly

                > To fix the width we need to edit the number_width() function and
                > replace

                > lnum = wp->w_buffer->b_ml.ml_line_count;

                > with

                > if (wp->w_p_rnu && !wp->w_p_nu)
                > lnum = wp->w_height;
                > else
                > lnum = wp->w_buffer->b_ml.ml_line_count;

                > I believe that will revert vim to the previous, cleaner behavior.

                cool -- thx

                > I worry that asking for other things besides zero (as Bee is) will get
                > the whole idea tossed out.

                Bram is so busy right now I'm afraid we're on our own.

                > On the other hand the absolute number thing seems to have at least a
                > couple of fans on the dev list, so having a bunch of different
                > possibilities for what gets put where the zero belongs might be more
                > likely than getting it reverted.

                > It's hard to see relative number users not objecting to the current
                > behavior. When I opened screen.c to find this stuff, I counted the
                > columns being used. It was 6. That is a lot of wasted screen in an
                > 80 column terminal.

                > This is my first discussion on vim_use. Perhaps I should have brought
                > it up on the vim_dev list instead? I'm not sure it will get noticed
                > here.

                my bad -- I sort of hijacked another thread here where [I think it was
                Charles] mentioned the weirdness of the absolute number in the
                relative column and I jumped on that. You're quite right, this
                belongs in vim_dev, but I'm not sure enough people care about this
                issue that it'll get noticed anywhere.

                --
                _|_ _ __|_|_ ._ o|
                |_(_)(_)|_| ||_)||<

              • Ben Fritz
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 1, 2013
                  On Saturday, June 1, 2013 12:13:56 PM UTC-5, Grant wrote:
                  > I've been distressed by the direction the discussion on the addition
                  >
                  > of the absolute line number to the relative line number functionality
                  >
                  > has gone. More specifically, I don't see enough champions of relative
                  >
                  > numbering fighting to keep it useful and economical and I'm afraid the
                  >
                  > discussion with die before fixing the current state of things.
                  >
                  > Perhaps the problem is that relative number users are too small a
                  >
                  > minority to fight for themselves. The addition of the current
                  >
                  > absolute line number to relative line numbering is a serious usability
                  >
                  > regression for relative numbering and I would hate for it to make it
                  >
                  > into 7.4 as it is.

                  I use relative numbering all the time. Before, I occasionally had to switch back and forth between that and absolute. Now, I almost never need to. I LIKE the absolute number. And I rarely notice either numbering at all, except for when I need it. I think "serious usability regression" is a huge overstatement.

                  But, I personally support an option to control this. I like even better the idea of 'relativenumber' and 'number' combining together instead of being mutually exclusive. There have been a couple patches submitted for both of these methods.

                • tooth pik
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 1, 2013
                    On Sat, Jun 01, 2013 at 10:27:23PM -0700, Ben Fritz wrote:
                    > On Saturday, June 1, 2013 12:13:56 PM UTC-5, Grant wrote:
                    > > I've been distressed by the direction the discussion on the addition
                    > > of the absolute line number to the relative line number functionality
                    > > has gone. More specifically, I don't see enough champions of relative
                    > > numbering fighting to keep it useful and economical and I'm afraid the
                    > > discussion with die before fixing the current state of things.
                    > > Perhaps the problem is that relative number users are too small a
                    > > minority to fight for themselves. The addition of the current
                    > > absolute line number to relative line numbering is a serious usability
                    > > regression for relative numbering and I would hate for it to make it
                    > > into 7.4 as it is.

                    > I use relative numbering all the time. Before, I occasionally had to
                    > switch back and forth between that and absolute. Now, I almost never
                    > need to. I LIKE the absolute number. And I rarely notice either
                    > numbering at all, except for when I need it. I think "serious
                    > usability regression" is a huge overstatement.

                    I don't -- sorry Ben, but when I want relative numbers, I find the
                    absolute at zero a distraction

                    > But, I personally support an option to control this. I like even
                    > better the idea of 'relativenumber' and 'number' combining together
                    > instead of being mutually exclusive. There have been a couple
                    > patches submitted for both of these methods.

                    but Bram has been quoted as not wanting more options in this area --
                    it's a conundrum

                    I think gvfarns will be moving this topic to vim_dev -- perhaps we can
                    continue there...

                    --
                    _|_ _ __|_|_ ._ o|
                    |_(_)(_)|_| ||_)||<

                  • glts
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 2, 2013
                      On Saturday, June 1, 2013 7:13:56 PM UTC+2, Grant wrote:
                      > ... But I think
                      > it is against the spirit of vim that we should remove useful
                      > functionality (non-wasteful relative line number functionality) that
                      > people depend on without at least giving them some backwards
                      > compatibility.

                      Agreed.

                      Backwards compatibility seems to be one of the guiding principles in Vim
                      development. But backwards compatibility is not only a strictly
                      technical concept, it should include remaining backwards compatible with
                      the reasonable expectations and practices of the users. In that sense,
                      the absolute current line number is a decidedly backwards incompatible
                      change.

                      Anyway, people have made up their minds. Some think it's useful, some
                      think it's distracting. For some people it adds value, for some people
                      it subtracts value. Let's please make it customizable.

                    • glts
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 2, 2013
                        On Sunday, June 2, 2013 8:13:05 AM UTC+2, toothpik wrote:
                        > On Sat, Jun 01, 2013 at 10:27:23PM -0700, Ben Fritz wrote:
                        > > But, I personally support an option to control this. I like even
                        > > better the idea of 'relativenumber' and 'number' combining together
                        > > instead of being mutually exclusive. There have been a couple
                        > > patches submitted for both of these methods.
                        >
                        > but Bram has been quoted as not wanting more options in this area --
                        > it's a conundrum

                        Wait, the big advantage of that little scheme is that no new options are
                        required. 'number' and 'relativenumber' work together to satisfy both
                        the absolutists and the relativists (of either kind) alike.

                        https://groups.google.com/d/msg/vim_use/fjG8gaeqpRc/zZU4X8_yRGIJ

                        The question is whether it is confusing. And I think it is a very valid
                        question.

                      • Ben Fritz
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 2, 2013
                          On Sunday, June 2, 2013 3:43:06 AM UTC-5, glts wrote:
                          > On Sunday, June 2, 2013 8:13:05 AM UTC+2, toothpik wrote:
                          > > On Sat, Jun 01, 2013 at 10:27:23PM -0700, Ben Fritz wrote:
                          > > > But, I personally support an option to control this. I like even
                          > > > better the idea of 'relativenumber' and 'number' combining together
                          > > > instead of being mutually exclusive. There have been a couple
                          > > > patches submitted for both of these methods.
                          > >
                          > > but Bram has been quoted as not wanting more options in this area --
                          > > it's a conundrum
                          >
                          > Wait, the big advantage of that little scheme is that no new options are
                          > required. 'number' and 'relativenumber' work together to satisfy both
                          > the absolutists and the relativists (of either kind) alike.
                          >
                          > https://groups.google.com/d/msg/vim_use/fjG8gaeqpRc/zZU4X8_yRGIJ
                          >
                          > The question is whether it is confusing. And I think it is a very valid
                          > question.

                          I think all it takes is a help note. In :help 'number' replace the bit about resetting 'relativenumber' with something like:

                          "If 'relativenumber' is also set, puts the line number only on the line with the cursor"

                          And at :help 'relativenumber' replace the bit about resetting 'number' with something like:

                          "If 'number' is also set, the line with the cursor contains the line number, otherwise zero."

                        • tooth pik
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 2, 2013
                            On Sun, Jun 02, 2013 at 12:50:10PM -0700, Ben Fritz wrote:
                            > On Sunday, June 2, 2013 3:43:06 AM UTC-5, glts wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > but Bram has been quoted as not wanting more options in this area --
                            > > > it's a conundrum
                            > >
                            > > Wait, the big advantage of that little scheme is that no new options are
                            > > required. 'number' and 'relativenumber' work together to satisfy both
                            > > the absolutists and the relativists (of either kind) alike.
                            > >
                            > > https://groups.google.com/d/msg/vim_use/fjG8gaeqpRc/zZU4X8_yRGIJ
                            > >
                            > > The question is whether it is confusing. And I think it is a very valid
                            > > question.

                            > I think all it takes is a help note. In :help 'number' replace the bit about resetting 'relativenumber' with something like:

                            > "If 'relativenumber' is also set, puts the line number only on the line with the cursor"

                            > And at :help 'relativenumber' replace the bit about resetting 'number' with something like:

                            > "If 'number' is also set, the line with the cursor contains the line number, otherwise zero."

                            +1 Ben! I didn't understand this approach til I saw this email! I
                            like it too.

                            --
                            _|_ _ __|_|_ ._ o|
                            |_(_)(_)|_| ||_)||<

                          • Gary Johnson
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 2, 2013
                              On 2013-06-02, tooth pik wrote:
                              > On Sun, Jun 02, 2013 at 12:50:10PM -0700, Ben Fritz wrote:
                              > > On Sunday, June 2, 2013 3:43:06 AM UTC-5, glts wrote:

                              > > > Wait, the big advantage of that little scheme is that no new options are
                              > > > required. 'number' and 'relativenumber' work together to satisfy both
                              > > > the absolutists and the relativists (of either kind) alike.
                              > > >
                              > > > https://groups.google.com/d/msg/vim_use/fjG8gaeqpRc/zZU4X8_yRGIJ
                              > > >
                              > > > The question is whether it is confusing. And I think it is a very valid
                              > > > question.
                              >
                              > > I think all it takes is a help note. In :help 'number' replace
                              > > the bit about resetting 'relativenumber' with something like:
                              >
                              > > "If 'relativenumber' is also set, puts the line number only on
                              > > the line with the cursor"
                              >
                              > > And at :help 'relativenumber' replace the bit about resetting
                              > > 'number' with something like:
                              >
                              > > "If 'number' is also set, the line with the cursor contains the
                              > > line number, otherwise zero."
                              >
                              > +1 Ben! I didn't understand this approach til I saw this email! I
                              > like it too.

                              I like this, too. Even though I don't use and don't even like
                              'relativenumber' at the moment, I may change my mind. If I do, I'd
                              like to be able to try both formats and choose the one I prefer.
                              This seems like a clean, straightforward solution.

                              Regards,
                              Gary

                            • Chris Lott
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jun 2, 2013
                                On Sun, Jun 2, 2013 at 2:43 PM, tooth pik <toothpik6@...> wrote:

                                Ben Fritz wrote:
                                >> I think all it takes is a help note. In :help 'number' replace the bit about resetting 'relativenumber' with something like:
                                >>
                                >> "If 'relativenumber' is also set, puts the line number only on the line with the cursor"
                                >>
                                >> And at :help 'relativenumber' replace the bit about resetting 'number' with something like:
                                >>
                                >> "If 'number' is also set, the line with the cursor contains the line number, otherwise zero."
                                >>
                                > +1 Ben! I didn't understand this approach til I saw this email! I
                                > like it too.

                                I echo this sentiment: I really wasn't understanding the issue at all
                                until this message. But now I not only understand, but it seems like a
                                preferable setup to me.

                                Chris Lott <chris@...>