Re: which terminal

  • ZyX
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2013
      > > Never saw problems with scrolling in xterm. I personally use konsole.
      > > And WTF is "native split scrolling"?
      >
      > If sinbad means to split a terminal window and let each portion have its own scroll buffer, I'd recommend tmux, regardless of terminal emulator. Splitting the "screen" is something tmux excels at.

      Such splitting is not a tiny bit helpful with diff split slowness problem. Thus I am assuming it is not what sinbad meant.

    • sinbad
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 2, 2013
        On Jun 1, 9:03 pm, ZyX <zyx....@...> wrote:
        > > > Never saw problems with scrolling in xterm. I personally use konsole.
        > > > And WTF is "native split scrolling"?
        >
        > > If sinbad means to split a terminal window and let each portion have its own scroll buffer, I'd recommend tmux, regardless of terminal emulator. Splitting the "screen" is something tmux excels at.
        >
        > Such splitting is not a tiny bit helpful with diff split slowness problem. Thus I am assuming it is not what sinbad meant.

        > > If sinbad means to split a terminal window and let each portion have its own scroll buffer

        no this is not what i want, i already use tmux and with split windows
        and if one of the
        window emitting lot of output the performance of tmux comes to halt, i
        raised this
        issue with tmux mailing lists as well, i was told that the with split
        mode tmux has to
        redraw the entire screen and hence the slowness.

        i've been living with this for very long time, if i have a vertical
        split tmux or vertical split
        vim, the performance is very bad, there is noticeable lag for the
        cursor movements.
        hence my original question. i'm really surprised to know that others
        like ZyX don't
        see the problem like i do, may be something is wrong with my setup,
        but i doubt
        if that's the case.

        -sinbad

      • Sam Roberts
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 2, 2013
          Sinbad, you might take a shot at trying different fonts. The terminal
          performance can actually be dominated by font rendering speed, which
          isn't directly related to the terminal.

        • sinbad
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 2, 2013
            On Sunday, June 2, 2013 9:30:07 PM UTC+5:30, Sam Roberts wrote:
            > Sinbad, you might take a shot at trying different fonts. The terminal
            >
            > performance can actually be dominated by font rendering speed, which
            >
            > isn't directly related to the terminal.

            i use courier new font. i connect to the linux server using putty.
            i set the font in the putty client.

            -sinbad