Re: search with offset

  • Tim Chase
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2013
      On 2013-06-01 11:40, Marcin Szamotulski wrote:
      > Do you know how to repeat vim search preserving the offset. For
      > example /hello/;?Mark?
      > the n and N commands seems to forget about the offset, well actually
      > they forget about the patter and remember only the offset.

      This is strange, as n/N remember the other {offset} modifiers:

      /thing/e

      goes to the end of the next "thing" match. I'd consider classifying
      this as a bug: either in behavior, or in (lack of)
      clarification in the documentation.

      > I have found that vim remembers the whole search
      > pattern+offset in the search history (:h :histget()).

      With this information, you could do something like

      :nnoremap n /<up><cr>

      to get "n" behavior, but it gets tricky when you want to reverse it
      (you'd have to swap the "/" for "?" in the "right" placs, and define
      whether you want to search backwards for pattern#1, then forwards
      for pattern#2 (what I suspect you want), or backwards for pattern#1
      and then backwards further for pattern#2.

      -tim

    • Marcin Szamotulski
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2013
        On 07:46 Sat 01 Jun , Tim Chase wrote:
        > On 2013-06-01 11:40, Marcin Szamotulski wrote:
        > > Do you know how to repeat vim search preserving the offset. For
        > > example /hello/;?Mark?
        > > the n and N commands seems to forget about the offset, well actually
        > > they forget about the patter and remember only the offset.
        >
        > This is strange, as n/N remember the other {offset} modifiers:
        >
        > /thing/e
        >
        > goes to the end of the next "thing" match. I'd consider classifying
        > this as a bug: either in behavior, or in (lack of)
        > clarification in the documentation.
        >
        > > I have found that vim remembers the whole search
        > > pattern+offset in the search history (:h :histget()).
        >
        > With this information, you could do something like
        >
        > :nnoremap n /<up><cr>
        >
        > to get "n" behavior, but it gets tricky when you want to reverse it
        > (you'd have to swap the "/" for "?" in the "right" placs, and define
        > whether you want to search backwards for pattern#1, then forwards
        > for pattern#2 (what I suspect you want), or backwards for pattern#1
        > and then backwards further for pattern#2.
        >
        > -tim

        Thank you both Tim and Shlomi,

        I tested this with vim -u NONE --noplugin so I will report it on
        vim_dev. I will try to use your maps. They also have the additional
        feature that they do not change the direction of searches. Let me see
        if I can forget the vim defaults :D

        Best regards,
        Marcin

      • Yann Thomas-GĂ©rard
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 3, 2013
          > This is strange, as n/N remember the other {offset} modifiers:
          >

          > /thing/e

          > goes to the end of the next "thing" match. I'd consider classifying
          >
          > this as a bug: either in behavior, or in (lack of)
          >
          > clarification in the documentation.

          IMHO, it needs documentation clarification. See :h last-pattern

          "The last used pattern and offset are remembered."

          This excludes the very special offset ";". So in:

          /foo/e;/bar/e

          /bar/e

          only will be remembered.