indenting contnued line

  • rudrab
    Message 1 of 2 , May 24, 2013
      Hello friends,
      for a continued line, say, in C,
      void some_function(argument1,
      more_arg)

      is the natural behavior of vim (with my current vimrc).
      I want it to be like
      void some_function(argument1,
      more_arg)

      i.e. when I press enter after reaching the end of first line, cursor should come to the suitable position, rather then first column.

      This will happen if my argument list is longer, and if I manually shift the 2nd line at the position I like, third line will come directly below it. But 2nd line has to be shifted manually.
      Whats more, using autoindent (shift+G+=+G) will also shift them bact to column 1.
      any solution?

    • Ben Fritz
      Message 2 of 2 , May 24, 2013
        On Friday, May 24, 2013 7:03:34 PM UTC-5, rudrab wrote:
        > Hello friends,
        > for a continued line, say, in C,
        > void some_function(argument1,
        > more_arg)
        >
        > is the natural behavior of vim (with my current vimrc).
        > I want it to be like
        > void some_function(argument1,
        > more_arg)
        >
        > i.e. when I press enter after reaching the end of first line, cursor should come to the suitable position, rather then first column.
        >
        > This will happen if my argument list is longer, and if I manually shift the 2nd line at the position I like, third line will come directly below it. But 2nd line has to be shifted manually.
        > Whats more, using autoindent (shift+G+=+G) will also shift them bact to column 1.
        > any solution?

        Try turning on filetype-based indentation.

        Near the top of your .vimrc, put:

        filetype indent on

        or

        filetype indent plugin on