Re: How open help in the current window?

  • Tim Chase
    Message 1 of 8 , May 24, 2013
      On 2013-05-24 08:19, Gary Johnson wrote:

      >>> :help
      >>> :only
      >>
      >> This has unfortunate side-effects if you have multiple windows
      >> open.
      >
      > Good point. I often use that when opening a new vim instance just
      > to read help. I wasn't thinking about the multiple window case.

      And my intent was not to discredit your answer either, since I
      too do :help/:only far more than I've ever twiddled the 'buftype'.
      It just does something different than what the OP asked. :-)

      -tim

    • glts
      Message 2 of 8 , May 24, 2013
        Peng,

        On Friday, May 24, 2013 11:45:21 AM UTC+2, Peng Yu wrote:
        > When I open help by ":help", it will add a new window for help. Is
        > there a way to replace the current window with help? Thanks.

        I have this mapping in my vimrc:

        " Open help in a separate tab with <F1>
        noremap <F1> :<C-U>tab help<CR>

        This way I can just hit <F1> for full-screen help.

        David