Re: How open help in the current window?

  • Gary Johnson
    Message 1 of 8 , May 24, 2013
      On 2013-05-24, Tim Chase wrote:
      > On 2013-05-24 07:56, Gary Johnson wrote:
      > > > When I open help by ":help", it will add a new window for help. Is
      > > > there a way to replace the current window with help? Thanks.
      > >
      > > :help
      > > :only
      >
      > This has unfortunate side-effects if you have multiple windows open.
      > Yukihiro's solution using ":set buftype=help" is the closest I've seen
      > to solving the OP's request (despite the warning in the help for
      > 'buftype' that tells you it shouldn't need to be set manually) though
      > if the buffer has been modified, vim will warn you rather than losing
      > your changes. There doesn't seem to be a ":help!" (well, there is,
      > but it doesn't abandon changes in the buftype=help window; rather it
      > attempts to console you in your panic :-)

      Good point. I often use that when opening a new vim instance just
      to read help. I wasn't thinking about the multiple window case.

      Regards,
      Gary

    • Tim Chase
      Message 2 of 8 , May 24, 2013
        On 2013-05-24 08:19, Gary Johnson wrote:

        >>> :help
        >>> :only
        >>
        >> This has unfortunate side-effects if you have multiple windows
        >> open.
        >
        > Good point. I often use that when opening a new vim instance just
        > to read help. I wasn't thinking about the multiple window case.

        And my intent was not to discredit your answer either, since I
        too do :help/:only far more than I've ever twiddled the 'buftype'.
        It just does something different than what the OP asked. :-)

        -tim

      • glts
        Message 3 of 8 , May 24, 2013
          Peng,

          On Friday, May 24, 2013 11:45:21 AM UTC+2, Peng Yu wrote:
          > When I open help by ":help", it will add a new window for help. Is
          > there a way to replace the current window with help? Thanks.

          I have this mapping in my vimrc:

          " Open help in a separate tab with <F1>
          noremap <F1> :<C-U>tab help<CR>

          This way I can just hit <F1> for full-screen help.

          David