How open help in the current window?

  • Peng Yu
    Message 1 of 8 , May 24, 2013

      When I open help by ":help", it will add a new window for help. Is
      there a way to replace the current window with help? Thanks.

      Regards,
      Peng

    • Willy Gfn
      Message 2 of 8 , May 24, 2013
        Peng Yu wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > When I open help by ":help", it will add a new window for help. Is
        > there a way to replace the current window with help? Thanks.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Peng
        Hi !

        I don't thinks it's possible, as the help window is a specific window.
        Anyway, you can get the help window to fit the whole page by focusing it
        and press <C-w>_

        Regards,

        Willy

        > ---

      • Yukihiro Nakadaira
        Message 3 of 8 , May 24, 2013
          On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 6:45 PM, Peng Yu <pengyu.ut@...> wrote:
          Hi,

          When I open help by ":help", it will add a new window for help. Is
          there a way to replace the current window with help? Thanks.

          :set buftype=help
          :help

        • Gary Johnson
          Message 4 of 8 , May 24, 2013
            On 2013-05-24, Peng Yu wrote:
            > Hi,
            >
            > When I open help by ":help", it will add a new window for help. Is
            > there a way to replace the current window with help? Thanks.

            :help
            :only

            Regards,
            Gary

          • Tim Chase
            Message 5 of 8 , May 24, 2013
              On 2013-05-24 07:56, Gary Johnson wrote:
              > > When I open help by ":help", it will add a new window for help. Is
              > > there a way to replace the current window with help? Thanks.
              >
              > :help
              > :only

              This has unfortunate side-effects if you have multiple windows open.
              Yukihiro's solution using ":set buftype=help" is the closest I've seen
              to solving the OP's request (despite the warning in the help for
              'buftype' that tells you it shouldn't need to be set manually) though
              if the buffer has been modified, vim will warn you rather than losing
              your changes. There doesn't seem to be a ":help!" (well, there is,
              but it doesn't abandon changes in the buftype=help window; rather it
              attempts to console you in your panic :-)

              -tim

            • Gary Johnson
              Message 6 of 8 , May 24, 2013
                On 2013-05-24, Tim Chase wrote:
                > On 2013-05-24 07:56, Gary Johnson wrote:
                > > > When I open help by ":help", it will add a new window for help. Is
                > > > there a way to replace the current window with help? Thanks.
                > >
                > > :help
                > > :only
                >
                > This has unfortunate side-effects if you have multiple windows open.
                > Yukihiro's solution using ":set buftype=help" is the closest I've seen
                > to solving the OP's request (despite the warning in the help for
                > 'buftype' that tells you it shouldn't need to be set manually) though
                > if the buffer has been modified, vim will warn you rather than losing
                > your changes. There doesn't seem to be a ":help!" (well, there is,
                > but it doesn't abandon changes in the buftype=help window; rather it
                > attempts to console you in your panic :-)

                Good point. I often use that when opening a new vim instance just
                to read help. I wasn't thinking about the multiple window case.

                Regards,
                Gary

              • Tim Chase
                Message 7 of 8 , May 24, 2013
                  On 2013-05-24 08:19, Gary Johnson wrote:

                  >>> :help
                  >>> :only
                  >>
                  >> This has unfortunate side-effects if you have multiple windows
                  >> open.
                  >
                  > Good point. I often use that when opening a new vim instance just
                  > to read help. I wasn't thinking about the multiple window case.

                  And my intent was not to discredit your answer either, since I
                  too do :help/:only far more than I've ever twiddled the 'buftype'.
                  It just does something different than what the OP asked. :-)

                  -tim

                • glts
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 24, 2013
                    Peng,

                    On Friday, May 24, 2013 11:45:21 AM UTC+2, Peng Yu wrote:
                    > When I open help by ":help", it will add a new window for help. Is
                    > there a way to replace the current window with help? Thanks.

                    I have this mapping in my vimrc:

                    " Open help in a separate tab with <F1>
                    noremap <F1> :<C-U>tab help<CR>

                    This way I can just hit <F1> for full-screen help.

                    David