Re: How to deal with multiple compiler error formats, possibly from a single make invocation?

  • Sam Roberts
    Message 1 of 4 , May 23, 2013
      On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 6:32 PM, Ben Fritz <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:
      > On Thursday, May 23, 2013 4:46:05 PM UTC-5, Sam Roberts wrote:
      >> I'd like something like:
      >>
      >> after/javascript.vim:
      >> compiler jshint
      >> compiler +node
      >> compiler +mocha
      >
      > Maybe instead you could use :caddfile, :caddbuffer, or :caddexpr to build a list using one format at a time?

      Can you give me more of a hint?

      Somehow, I'd have to create a macro that ran make, then called
      compiler X, caddfile, compiler Y, caddfile, etc....?

      Sam

    • Ben Fritz
      Message 2 of 4 , May 24, 2013
        On Thursday, May 23, 2013 11:51:43 PM UTC-5, Sam Roberts wrote:
        > On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 6:32 PM, Ben Fritz <fritzophrenic@...> wrote:
        >
        > > On Thursday, May 23, 2013 4:46:05 PM UTC-5, Sam Roberts wrote:
        >
        > >> I'd like something like:
        >

        > >> after/javascript.vim:
        >
        > >> compiler jshint
        >
        > >> compiler +node
        >
        > >> compiler +mocha
        >

        > > Maybe instead you could use :caddfile, :caddbuffer, or :caddexpr to build a list using one format at a time?
        >

        > Can you give me more of a hint?
        >

        > Somehow, I'd have to create a macro that ran make, then called
        >
        > compiler X, caddfile, compiler Y, caddfile, etc....?

        I don't have a specific example, but yes, that's what I had in mind. Or better, a function called by a command.

        When I made the suggestion, I thought you could get each compiler's output separately. Then it would be easy. But since all your compilers output to a single file, you'll probably actually need something like:

        function ParseEverything()
        lines=readfile(compiler_output_file)
        call writefile(filter(copy(lines), 'v:val =~ ''pattern_to_match_compiler_x'''), compiler_x_output_file)
        compiler X
        caddfile compiler_x_output_file
        " etc.
        endfunction

        So, maybe combining the errorformats is easier.

        Alternatively, you could write a function or program to transform all the outputs into a common errorformat. In the Vim repository, runtime/tools has a ccfilter tool to do this for some compilers, you might look into that one.