Re: Vundle vs Pathogen

  • Marc Weber
    Message 1 of 7 , May 23, 2013
      Excerpts from Donie Leigh's message of Thu May 23 14:38:54 +0200 2013:
      > I've made a study about vundle and pathogen, I want to hear opinions
      > of others, how do you think about it ?

      Contribute your findings to this document:
      http://vim-wiki.mawercer.de/wiki/topic/vim%20plugin%20managment.html

      > I have been using Pathogen for a long time and I am happy with it. But
      > it seems that more and more Vim scripts are recommending to use Vundle
      > in their install references.

      Yes - and how "biased" this view is can be seen that vim-addon-manager
      is seldomly listed, even though its the most powerful one IMHO.

      Where did you look for a reply before doing this research?
      Trying to understand how to improve this for the community,
      because this happens often, that people get something done,
      then later see that they did the wrong thing (comparing 2 solutions
      only, ignoring a third, which should not have been missed).

      Marc Weber

    • Christian Brabandt
      Message 2 of 7 , May 23, 2013
        On Thu, May 23, 2013 14:38, Donie Leigh wrote:
        > I found that the vim-scripts repo is not
        > updated in time, the latest activity was carried out a month ago ! As
        > an OCD patient of updating, I cannot tolerate old versions of vim
        > scripts.

        I don't know what an OCD patient is, but I don't understand, why
        you "cannot tolerate old versions of vim scripts"? If they work well
        for you, why bother?

        regards,
        Christian

      • Phil Dobbin
        Message 3 of 7 , May 23, 2013
          On 23/05/2013 16:19, Christian Brabandt wrote:

          > On Thu, May 23, 2013 14:38, Donie Leigh wrote:
          >> I found that the vim-scripts repo is not
          >> updated in time, the latest activity was carried out a month ago ! As
          >> an OCD patient of updating, I cannot tolerate old versions of vim
          >> scripts.
          >
          > I don't know what an OCD patient is, but I don't understand, why
          > you "cannot tolerate old versions of vim scripts"? If they work well
          > for you, why bother?

          For further reinforcement of what Christian's saying, refer to the first
          law of system administration: if it's working correctly unless you have
          a *really* good reason to, don't just upgrade for the sake of it.

          Cheers,

          Phil...

          --
          currently (ab)using
          CentOS 5.9 & 6.4, Debian Squeeze & Wheezy, Fedora Beefy, Spherical &

        • Gary Johnson
          Message 4 of 7 , May 23, 2013
            On 2013-05-23, Christian Brabandt wrote:
            > On Thu, May 23, 2013 14:38, Donie Leigh wrote:
            > > I found that the vim-scripts repo is not
            > > updated in time, the latest activity was carried out a month ago ! As
            > > an OCD patient of updating, I cannot tolerate old versions of vim
            > > scripts.
            >
            > I don't know what an OCD patient is, but I don't understand, why
            > you "cannot tolerate old versions of vim scripts"? If they work well
            > for you, why bother?

            OCD - Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder - an anxiety disorder
            characterized by intrusive thoughts that produce uneasiness,
            apprehension, fear, or worry; by repetitive behaviors aimed at
            reducing the associated anxiety; or by a combination of such
            obsessions and compulsions.

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessive%E2%80%93compulsive_disorder

            Regards,
            Gary

          • Donie Leigh
            Message 5 of 7 , May 23, 2013
              @Marc Thanks for your recommendation, it seems VAM gives consideration
              to both statibility and radicalism. I will give it try.

              2013/5/24 Gary Johnson <garyjohn@...>:
              > On 2013-05-23, Christian Brabandt wrote:
              >> On Thu, May 23, 2013 14:38, Donie Leigh wrote:
              >> > I found that the vim-scripts repo is not
              >> > updated in time, the latest activity was carried out a month ago ! As
              >> > an OCD patient of updating, I cannot tolerate old versions of vim
              >> > scripts.
              >>
              >> I don't know what an OCD patient is, but I don't understand, why
              >> you "cannot tolerate old versions of vim scripts"? If they work well
              >> for you, why bother?
              >
              > OCD - Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder - an anxiety disorder
              > characterized by intrusive thoughts that produce uneasiness,
              > apprehension, fear, or worry; by repetitive behaviors aimed at
              > reducing the associated anxiety; or by a combination of such
              > obsessions and compulsions.
              >
              > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessive%E2%80%93compulsive_disorder
              >
              > Regards,
              > Gary

              > ---

            • Rostislav Svoboda
              Message 6 of 7 , May 24, 2013
                >>> As an OCD patient of updating, I cannot tolerate old versions of vim scripts.
                >>
                >> I don't know what an OCD patient is, but I don't understand, why you "cannot tolerate old versions of vim scripts"?

                Hahaha :) ... nice weekend to everyone :)