Vundle vs Pathogen

  • Donie Leigh
    Message 1 of 7 , May 23, 2013
      Hi all,

      I've made a study about vundle and pathogen, I want to hear opinions
      of others, how do you think about it ?

      I have been using Pathogen for a long time and I am happy with it. But
      it seems that more and more Vim scripts are recommending to use Vundle
      in their install references. So I made a study today, the conclusion
      is, although almost all the articles I found from Google have a
      positive attitude on Vundle, I still prefer Pathogen.

      Most supporters of Vundle praise it for one reason, that is, it can
      install and update scripts automatically, which is lacked by Pathogen.
      Yes, since Vundle leverages the vim-scripts repository on GitHub, it
      is really easier to do so than Pathogen. But the disadvantage is as
      good as the advantage. I found that the vim-scripts repo is not
      updated in time, the latest activity was carried out a month ago ! As
      an OCD patient of updating, I cannot tolerate old versions of vim
      scripts. Although that Vundle supports using scripts’ git repos of
      their own (either on GitHub or other places), there is still a
      problem, what if authors commit broken code to the master brunch ?

      Moreover, not all scripts are deposited in public git repos. How can I
      organize those scripts in ~/.vim/bundle/ and prevent :BundleClean from
      deleting them at the same time ?

      Pathogen only handles the organization job that puts scripts in
      individual folders under ~/.vim/bundle/, so there is without the above
      problem. For updating issues, GetLatestVimScripts.vim is a good
      choice, it fetches the latest stable updates from vim.org, so I don’t
      have to worry about careless commits. The only problem is, when
      GetLatestVimScripts.vim downloads all packages, I should install them
      manually. But since most scripts rarely update, I think this is not a
      hard work to do.

      My blog post: http://0x3f.org/blog/vundle-vs-pathogen/

    • Marc Weber
      Message 2 of 7 , May 23, 2013
        Excerpts from Donie Leigh's message of Thu May 23 14:38:54 +0200 2013:
        > I've made a study about vundle and pathogen, I want to hear opinions
        > of others, how do you think about it ?

        Contribute your findings to this document:
        http://vim-wiki.mawercer.de/wiki/topic/vim%20plugin%20managment.html

        > I have been using Pathogen for a long time and I am happy with it. But
        > it seems that more and more Vim scripts are recommending to use Vundle
        > in their install references.

        Yes - and how "biased" this view is can be seen that vim-addon-manager
        is seldomly listed, even though its the most powerful one IMHO.

        Where did you look for a reply before doing this research?
        Trying to understand how to improve this for the community,
        because this happens often, that people get something done,
        then later see that they did the wrong thing (comparing 2 solutions
        only, ignoring a third, which should not have been missed).

        Marc Weber

      • Christian Brabandt
        Message 3 of 7 , May 23, 2013
          On Thu, May 23, 2013 14:38, Donie Leigh wrote:
          > I found that the vim-scripts repo is not
          > updated in time, the latest activity was carried out a month ago ! As
          > an OCD patient of updating, I cannot tolerate old versions of vim
          > scripts.

          I don't know what an OCD patient is, but I don't understand, why
          you "cannot tolerate old versions of vim scripts"? If they work well
          for you, why bother?

          regards,
          Christian

        • Phil Dobbin
          Message 4 of 7 , May 23, 2013
            On 23/05/2013 16:19, Christian Brabandt wrote:

            > On Thu, May 23, 2013 14:38, Donie Leigh wrote:
            >> I found that the vim-scripts repo is not
            >> updated in time, the latest activity was carried out a month ago ! As
            >> an OCD patient of updating, I cannot tolerate old versions of vim
            >> scripts.
            >
            > I don't know what an OCD patient is, but I don't understand, why
            > you "cannot tolerate old versions of vim scripts"? If they work well
            > for you, why bother?

            For further reinforcement of what Christian's saying, refer to the first
            law of system administration: if it's working correctly unless you have
            a *really* good reason to, don't just upgrade for the sake of it.

            Cheers,

            Phil...

            --
            currently (ab)using
            CentOS 5.9 & 6.4, Debian Squeeze & Wheezy, Fedora Beefy, Spherical &

          • Gary Johnson
            Message 5 of 7 , May 23, 2013
              On 2013-05-23, Christian Brabandt wrote:
              > On Thu, May 23, 2013 14:38, Donie Leigh wrote:
              > > I found that the vim-scripts repo is not
              > > updated in time, the latest activity was carried out a month ago ! As
              > > an OCD patient of updating, I cannot tolerate old versions of vim
              > > scripts.
              >
              > I don't know what an OCD patient is, but I don't understand, why
              > you "cannot tolerate old versions of vim scripts"? If they work well
              > for you, why bother?

              OCD - Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder - an anxiety disorder
              characterized by intrusive thoughts that produce uneasiness,
              apprehension, fear, or worry; by repetitive behaviors aimed at
              reducing the associated anxiety; or by a combination of such
              obsessions and compulsions.

              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessive%E2%80%93compulsive_disorder

              Regards,
              Gary

            • Donie Leigh
              Message 6 of 7 , May 23, 2013
                @Marc Thanks for your recommendation, it seems VAM gives consideration
                to both statibility and radicalism. I will give it try.

                2013/5/24 Gary Johnson <garyjohn@...>:
                > On 2013-05-23, Christian Brabandt wrote:
                >> On Thu, May 23, 2013 14:38, Donie Leigh wrote:
                >> > I found that the vim-scripts repo is not
                >> > updated in time, the latest activity was carried out a month ago ! As
                >> > an OCD patient of updating, I cannot tolerate old versions of vim
                >> > scripts.
                >>
                >> I don't know what an OCD patient is, but I don't understand, why
                >> you "cannot tolerate old versions of vim scripts"? If they work well
                >> for you, why bother?
                >
                > OCD - Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder - an anxiety disorder
                > characterized by intrusive thoughts that produce uneasiness,
                > apprehension, fear, or worry; by repetitive behaviors aimed at
                > reducing the associated anxiety; or by a combination of such
                > obsessions and compulsions.
                >
                > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessive%E2%80%93compulsive_disorder
                >
                > Regards,
                > Gary

                > ---

              • Rostislav Svoboda
                Message 7 of 7 , May 24, 2013
                  >>> As an OCD patient of updating, I cannot tolerate old versions of vim scripts.
                  >>
                  >> I don't know what an OCD patient is, but I don't understand, why you "cannot tolerate old versions of vim scripts"?

                  Hahaha :) ... nice weekend to everyone :)