Re: Why does Vim not distinguish right and left CTRL, SHIFT, ALT keys ?

  • Ben Fritz
    Message 1 of 5 , May 23, 2013
      On Wednesday, May 22, 2013 10:20:43 PM UTC-5, Donie Leigh wrote:
      > Operations in Vim is heavily based on keyboard, since the right CTRL,
      >
      > SHIFT, ALT keys are rarely used, why does Vim not distinguish them
      >
      > from the left ones ? That will clearly make great convenience .

      Very few programs can actually do that. Vim is worse because it's designed to also work in old terminals that only send a single byte for a CTRL combined with a keypress according to the ASCII standard. Vim works with what it is given.

    • Donie Leigh
      Message 2 of 5 , May 23, 2013
        Thanks Ben, very clear and helpful.

        2013/5/23 Ben Fritz <fritzophrenic@...>:
        > On Wednesday, May 22, 2013 10:20:43 PM UTC-5, Donie Leigh wrote:
        >> Operations in Vim is heavily based on keyboard, since the right CTRL,
        >>
        >> SHIFT, ALT keys are rarely used, why does Vim not distinguish them
        >>
        >> from the left ones ? That will clearly make great convenience .
        >
        > Very few programs can actually do that. Vim is worse because it's designed to also work in old terminals that only send a single byte for a CTRL combined with a keypress according to the ASCII standard. Vim works with what it is given.

        > ---

      • John Little
        Message 3 of 5 , May 23, 2013
          Hi

          "Why" is a long story, mostly ancient (in computer terms) history. It has been recognized as a weakness in vim and much discussed, but no one has taken on the task of improving the key handling AFAIK.

          However, at a lower level one can do a lot. I use xmodmap when I'm on X (linux and unix) to make windows keys usable with vim. There's hot key utilities for windows.

          Regards, John Little

        • Donie Leigh
          Message 4 of 5 , May 23, 2013
            @John Thanks for your answer, yes, xmodmap is a work around.