Why does Vim not distinguish right and left CTRL, SHIFT, ALT keys ?

  • Donie Leigh
    Message 1 of 5 , May 22, 2013
      Operations in Vim is heavily based on keyboard, since the right CTRL,
      SHIFT, ALT keys are rarely used, why does Vim not distinguish them
      from the left ones ? That will clearly make great convenience .

    • Ben Fritz
      Message 2 of 5 , May 23, 2013
        On Wednesday, May 22, 2013 10:20:43 PM UTC-5, Donie Leigh wrote:
        > Operations in Vim is heavily based on keyboard, since the right CTRL,
        >
        > SHIFT, ALT keys are rarely used, why does Vim not distinguish them
        >
        > from the left ones ? That will clearly make great convenience .

        Very few programs can actually do that. Vim is worse because it's designed to also work in old terminals that only send a single byte for a CTRL combined with a keypress according to the ASCII standard. Vim works with what it is given.

      • Donie Leigh
        Message 3 of 5 , May 23, 2013
          Thanks Ben, very clear and helpful.

          2013/5/23 Ben Fritz <fritzophrenic@...>:
          > On Wednesday, May 22, 2013 10:20:43 PM UTC-5, Donie Leigh wrote:
          >> Operations in Vim is heavily based on keyboard, since the right CTRL,
          >>
          >> SHIFT, ALT keys are rarely used, why does Vim not distinguish them
          >>
          >> from the left ones ? That will clearly make great convenience .
          >
          > Very few programs can actually do that. Vim is worse because it's designed to also work in old terminals that only send a single byte for a CTRL combined with a keypress according to the ASCII standard. Vim works with what it is given.

          > ---

        • John Little
          Message 4 of 5 , May 23, 2013
            Hi

            "Why" is a long story, mostly ancient (in computer terms) history. It has been recognized as a weakness in vim and much discussed, but no one has taken on the task of improving the key handling AFAIK.

            However, at a lower level one can do a lot. I use xmodmap when I'm on X (linux and unix) to make windows keys usable with vim. There's hot key utilities for windows.

            Regards, John Little

          • Donie Leigh
            Message 5 of 5 , May 23, 2013
              @John Thanks for your answer, yes, xmodmap is a work around.